OP
OP
D

dastank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wall... What about branching too? Just for future reference:)

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Branching is best to use a diamond wheel, so you dont crush the skeleton trying to cut the branch off. Haven't messed with a wall, so I'm no help there. ;)

weimers75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried it, but I was told if you wrap a rubber band over the head, eventually it will start closing in and eventually seal itself off then you can use a wheel to cut it.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now ive never done this on a healthy specimen but have save a number that were rescues from petshops that had RTN i would just cut about a half inch into good flesh from the RTN either splitting in half or just cutting rotten part away the used jell superglue and sealed of exposed side almost making a new skeloton of sorts has worked everytime so should do the same on healthy coral.I just did above mentioned on a hammer ill post pic of what i did ,lights off right now so ill post tommrow.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a pic of one i just done not to long ago i made it suck in so you can see
acropics022.jpg

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy in my local reef club just asked me if I was ever going to frag my wall hammer... cuz he likes it...but it is a great coral..and I don't want to chance killing it :( ... so I'm not sure I even want to try.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the type of method Weimers suggested used for wall type hammers before and it works the best and is the safest as far as I concerned. It takes more time cause you have to let the coral separate itself from under the rubber band but once the tissue separates you good to go.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well rather that start a new thread i will revive an OLD thread....its on topic so i hope its ok... :p

Ok so i have done some research and it seems that the branching Hammer is very easy to frag.....if the branches are long enough...mine are at least a couple of inches long the problem is that there is live tissue on the entire branch. I have been waiting for it to expose the hard skeleton but it hasnt....i have read a couple of sites on line that state you can use a rubber band between the branches and the tissue will recede and then you can remove the rubber band and cut the area in order to separate the branches...Is this true?? I have a Hammer that has taken off and i really would like to frag it! Please help with some advice! Thanks

i'll try to get some pics tonight to show what i am talking about!

Rouselb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pull it out of the water, use a dremel and cut it right down the line you choose. Then drop it into a bucket for a 20 min, and back into the tank. Branching is much easier then wall.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back