freeze dried vs frozen food

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am mentally gathering a list of supplies I need in order to make my own fish food. i'll be mixing all together and freezing in sandwich bags.
I have never used freeze dried anything. I go back and forth on whether to use freeze dried foods or frozen.
what are the benefits of using one over the other?

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the freeze dried food isnt crushed it should cloud the water less. That might be good or bad for filter feeders as corals or duster worms.
I think freeze drying is not a method for your home.
A good thing with making your own food is that it is easier to value the quality of the components.
A problem with mixing different components is that some fishes swallow the tasty part and spit out the rest.
A bit to much for them could maybe be to little for other fishes.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using freeze dried items in a diy fish food can be helpful since they absorb vitamin/hufa additives really well vs frozen (wet) items do. The one down side however is that the freeze dried stuff usually cost more than frozen and in some cases aren't as well enjoyed by some fish (varies by individual fish)

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since the original post, i bought a few freeze dried items, and a bunch of "add ins". I'll be picking up some frozen seafood this weekend. Hopefully it turns out and the fish eat it. With everything all mixed together, hopefully they'll eat like kings and realize they've got it good. :)

if they eat around the freeze dried foods, then at least i know what NOT to do next time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back