OP
OP
rantipole

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought it might be useful to others to report back on what happened. The iodine and peroxide dips did not completely take out the brown jelly. It seemed to help but the next day, one head of the frogspawn was completely devoid of living tissue, three other heads had lost most of the soft tissues, and the head that looked healthy had brown jelly now. The pink sea fan looked very beat up, with spots of flesh missing. I couldn't tell if that was from the brown jelly, the dips, or something else entirely. I made the sad decision to get rid of both corals.

I then saw that my giant green-tentacled leather coral had brown jelly spots all over the crown. I decided to try to save that coral by cutting off the entire crown. So I cut that coral down to a stump that was less than half the size it was. It's about two weeks since doing that. The stump shriveled a bit, but it's not decaying and doesn't look dead. There is a white lump of what looks like new growth on top. I think the leather is going to be ok.

The day after cutting the leather, both my Stylophora and my Anacropora had lost most of their tissue and were almost entirely white skeletons. I have no idea what happened. I don't think it was the brown jelly because they showed no signs of that previously. Is it possible that the damaged leather released some kind of nasty defensive chemicals? These were the only the two corals mentioned were the only ones in my tank affected, if so. It's a huge sad mystery. Both of those corals seem to be growing back slowly.

Cheers,
rant

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back