From the Ocean - How Do I Add

gatorrosco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just recently on a vacation in the Bahamas and picked up a dead sea biscuit and a dead sea urchin while snorkeling. I'm thinking about adding these to my tank for some decoration to the sand bed.

Do any of you have any suggestions for how to do this? Should I bleach them and then put them in the tank? Should I just add them to the tank after letting them sit out of the water for a few days? Is it a terrible idea all together because I could be introducing something bad to my tank?

My tank is a 32g biocube.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could I be adding that could hurt my tank? Would bleaching eliminate that possibility or could a bleached sea biscuit then hurt my tank?
It's just safer to not. You never know what you could be bringing in, bleached or not. And if it's dead there could be organic material still on or in it that'll rot and break down and could cause a nutrient spike.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just safer to not. You never know what you could be bringing in, bleached or not. And if it's dead there could be organic material still on or in it that'll rot and break down and could cause a nutrient spike.
Bleach kills everything.

OP
OP
G

gatorrosco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach kills everything.
So in your opinion, a bleached sea biscuit would have all the bad stuff killed and bleach itself (after sunning for a couple of days) would not be detrimental.

I understand there is some risk but just want to mitigate that risk if possible.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put that stuffs in a container, boil some RODI water and pour into the said container. Let it soak for 10 minutes, and rinse the dead skeleton with fresh RODI. Repeat for a second or third time and your are good to go.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in your opinion, a bleached sea biscuit would have all the bad stuff killed and bleach itself (after sunning for a couple of days) would not be detrimental.

I understand there is some risk but just want to mitigate that risk if possible.
If it's been around the house and stinks , is got organics on it.
Water , peroxide or a light bleach will begin to to dissolve and break those down. But also most likely is bee completely picked though and eaten already and may have Even been dry. So some judgment is needed there first hand. If it's gross don't put it in the tank. If it looks pretty clean it probably is.

Let me also put it this way.
IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We found some dead starfish in Oregon, and we were told to add some bleach and water bring to a boil, remove from heat and sit outside for 4 hours. Once you get this done, I would do a 50/50 water and prime for another 48 hours.

After that you should be okay!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, I'm just a nervous nelly when it comes to that stuff :)
No troubles. It's actually not a nutrient spike or swing to be worried about. I've seen nothing to show that it's a danger at all.

However , a large pice of dead stuff will break down and produce ammonia. In a small half established tank that could be bad.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We found some dead starfish in Oregon, and we were told to add some bleach and water bring to a boil, remove from heat and sit outside for 4 hours. Once you get this done, I would do a 50/50 water and prime for another 48 hours.

I'd say marinade it first and then cook it.

But eww. Starfish stew.

And fwiw prime will just bind ammonia if there is any. So there's no real benefit that I can see.

I have a pretty big established fuge full of bugs. That's where my sand dollars go when I come back from the beach.

OP
OP
G

gatorrosco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great replies. The sea biscuit and urchin are real clean. I like the idea of boiling RO/DI water and rinsing better than bleach.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great replies. The sea biscuit and urchin are real clean. I like the idea of boiling RO/DI water and rinsing better than bleach.
It will loosen the organics pretty well.
Peroxide is actually kinda similar to bleach actually. And a fwiw. I'm such a scardey cat when it comes to bleach , around the house I use a bout four table spoons in a 20oz spray bottle. And so you know. Sunlight breaks down the bleach completely. I did a lot of scaredy cat research on that.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nothing will survive a 100 degree celcius bath. If you want to boil the whole thing, do it outside with a lot of air movement.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will loosen the organics pretty well.
Peroxide is actually kinda similar to bleach actually. And a fwiw. I'm such a scardey cat when it comes to bleach , around the house I use a bout four table spoons in a 20oz spray bottle. And so you know. Sunlight breaks down the bleach completely. I did a lot of scaredy cat research on that.

H2O2 bath is good as well, safest bleaching method if you ask me :D. I am using a 8% H2O2 bath for corals frags when I am in doubt.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn’t put a dead starfish in even after soaking. An urchin has a shell which is ok I guess. I’m not sure if a starfish would just keep decomposing until there’s nothing left? At least the starfish that have died in my tanks do. Not sure if there are different types serpents vs the big hard ones that are ok? I know urchins and stars are both from the same family and I have seen the dried up starfish in stores but still not sure if it wouldn’t just decompose in water?

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a fan of boiling dead sea stuff. We used to keep bleached coral in our tanks for decoration. You had to have two sets. One to be in the tank, and one in bleach water. Neutralize the bleach well with lots of dechlorinator. Then set in the sun for several days.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching will kill everything. But keep in mind that the remains will most likely become an algae magnet. Any green hair you have will love coral skeleton.

Back