Frustrated: RedSea Reefrun DC 7000 Runs Loud

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in process of setting up a new RedSea 525 G2+ tank. For better or worse I am also using a lot of RedSea equipment. So far the tank is doing great---after 2 hours of messing with the return pump and RedSea drain valve I do not have any issues with the drain pipe noise so many have run into.

Instead, I am running into super annoying noise issues with the RedSea 7000 DC pump which is apparently manufactured by Sicce. Straight out of the box the pump has emitted a very audible humming sound even when running at 10% and standing several away. I have let the pump run for a week at 60% (much louder than when at 10%) and the performance has not improved---it's actually worse which means I can hear the hum standing 20+ feet away. I took the pump apart to make sure there were no obstructions. I also ran the pump in a 5 gallon bucket no plumbing fittings and the same loud, annoying hum is emitted.

I have submitted a warranty claim. I hope this is not the normal level of performance I am expect. I have a Varios6 pump running my manifold and it is dead silent even when running at 100%.

Does anyone else have experience with the RedSea Reefrun DC pumps? If so, what has your experience been?

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the pump - it's the plumbing in the Red Sea tanks that (for whatever reason) picks up just the right harmonic frequency.

You can try a silicone pad or two under it (that might help).

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RedSea 7000 DC pump which is apparently manufactured by Sicce.
I have a RedSea tank and I can tell you 100% that all Sicce pumps I tried hum.
I suspect some of us are sensitive to the hum vs. others. Also I read that the Sicce DC pumps is actually AC with controller (I don’t have the source just going by memory).
Only solution I found is to use other DC pump manufacturers like Ecotech Vectra, Royal Exclusive Red Dragon and right now I am using Maxspect JUMP DC and that is quite as well.
Abyzz is quite as well but $$$$, on the plus side it has 10 year warranty.

Good luck,

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the pump - it's the plumbing in the Red Sea tanks that (for whatever reason) picks up just the right harmonic frequency.

You can try a silicone pad or two under it (that might help).
Thanks for the recommendations. I initially thought it was the plumbing as well so I replaced the black stuff vinyl tubing with clear soft silicon and there was no difference. I then took the pump out and ran it inside a 5 gallon bucket with water and no plumbing and heard the same loud humming sound. Very annoying.

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea tank and I can tell you 100% that all Sicce pumps I tried hum.
I suspect some of us are sensitive to the hum vs. others. Also I read that the Sicce DC pumps is actually AC with controller (I don’t have the source just going by memory).
Only solution I found is to use other DC pump manufacturers like Ecotech Vectra, Royal Exclusive Red Dragon and right now I am using Maxspect JUMP DC and that is quite as well.
Abyzz is quite as well but $$$$, on the plus side it has 10 year warranty.

Good luck,
Yeah, I have a Varios6 running next to the RedSea Reefrun 7000 and the difference is stark. Loud annoying hum on the RedSea even at low flow level vs. absolute dead silence from the Varios even at 100% I like the look of the controller for the RedSea and the app is nice. Unfortunately the loud hum is a huge pain.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 250 here and have a varios 2 and that thing is always silent. I run it on setting 3 out of 6

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made a great choice. The Varios6 I have running my manifold is also silent even when cranked to max settings!
It’s funny four years ago I was all into the BRS videos and eating up every word. So of course I purchased a second varios 2 for back up when this one dies as a precaution. Ryan really pushed for that (of course he did they sell the dang things). So dropped 275 and 4.5 years later the original has been a literal machine. I do normal 4 month or so cleanings but dang that original pump is just as strong and quiet today as it was back then. I have used the “back up” for all sorts of crap. Salt mixing when I did a large water change, moving water into and out of my little Walmart ghetto pool in the back yard, all sorts of non aquarium stuff. Knock on wood I have been so impressed with these Reef Octo Varios pumps!!

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the reef run system. I just had the 5500 and thought it was fine.

However today I added the “DC” skimmer and it sounds like a drill. It’s so unbelievably loud. It’s louder than the AC Redsea skimmer it replaced.

Since adding that I’ve realised how loud my 5500 is.

have you seen an improvement now OP?

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there has not been any improvement to the hum of the Reefrun 7000. I sent a video to RedSea and they said the sound was normal operating performance. RedSea sent a new impeller assembly. I have not installed it yet but I am not confident it will make a difference since support suggests the hum is what is to be expected.

I also have a RedSea RSK 900 skimmer. The pump there also generates an audible hum but that is less annoying than the noise the Reefrun 7000 generates. I wish I went with another brand for both the return pump and skimmer.

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there has not been any improvement to the hum of the Reefrun 7000. I sent a video to RedSea and they said the sound was normal operating performance. RedSea sent a new impeller assembly. I have not installed it yet but I am not confident it will make a difference since support suggests the hum is what is to be expected.

I also have a RedSea RSK 900 skimmer. The pump there also generates an audible hum but that is less annoying than the noise the Reefrun 7000 generates. I wish I went with another brand for both the return pump and skimmer.

Interesting. I just replied to another thread for someone with the same issue. They had also been sent a new impeller.

I’ve got both the AC and DC versions here (of the skimmer), today I’ve swapped impellers between them and the DC pump makes the same noise with both.

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I just replied to another thread for someone with the same issue. They had also been sent a new impeller.

I’ve got both the AC and DC versions here (of the skimmer), today I’ve swapped impellers between them and the DC pump makes the same noise with both.
One good thing about RedSea is their customer service is responsive. They try to help but I am not sure there is much they can do about a pump that is expected to run with a loud audible hum under normal operating conditions :confused-face:

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a pump that is expected to run with a loud audible hum under normal operating conditions :confused-face:
The video from RS would have you believe differently: "ReefRun DC Pump - Quiet, energy-efficient and powerful". They may hold up on "energy-efficient" and "Powerful" as my own Pump is rated at up to 94W but has a lower lph rating than the 9000.

I have a mostly Red Sea Setup except for the DC Pump for Return Chamber: LED90s, ReefWave 45s, RSK DC 900, ReefMat 1200, ReefDose and ATO+. At tank setup, the RS DC Pump wasn't available so I opted for a TMC Reef Pump 8000 - also a DC Pump. 20 speeds, but I use 12 of 20 available speeds and it is super quiet. When adding a UV Steriliser I added the smaller TMC 2000 Pump. For the 8000 the range of speeds is 3000 lph + 250 lph for each settings e.g. mine is running at 5750 lph (about 4000 lph allowing for water height/inefficiencies). At the moment I have the "Setup pump" in RSRUN part of the App "winking at me" and unused, but I don't intend to change the Pump until I have issues and then only with careful research.

I don't have a Red Sea DC Pump for the Return Chamber but I do see some overlap between the RS 5500, 7000 and 9000 Pumps. Is it better to run a smaller Pump at a higher rate or a larger Pump at a lower rate to minimise the noise? Perhaps the RS Service would loan you the other two Pumps or at least provide guidance? You might remind them that they say "quiet" and the video has annoying music so anything is possible...

1. What happens to the sound if you (temporarily) remove the R35565 Pump flow guide?

2. Are you using the R5500/7000 Hose barb for 25mm/32mm with a larger 1 1/4" tubing but without cutting off the 25mm section - in a bucket you could try without any hose barb e.g. one of the other fixings?

3. If you were using silicone tubing, do you have to have the outlet vertical e.g. a longer length can be used if you angle the output to one side?

Last edited:

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea replaced the DC pump in my skimmer and it’s now “exceptionally quiet” as they advertise. I think there’s just a few lemons out there. I returned the “old” pump to Redsea for them to investigate.

lobster 1963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in process of setting up a new RedSea 525 G2+ tank. For better or worse I am also using a lot of RedSea equipment. So far the tank is doing great---after 2 hours of messing with the return pump and RedSea drain valve I do not have any issues with the drain pipe noise so many have run into.

Instead, I am running into super annoying noise issues with the RedSea 7000 DC pump which is apparently manufactured by Sicce. Straight out of the box the pump has emitted a very audible humming sound even when running at 10% and standing several away. I have let the pump run for a week at 60% (much louder than when at 10%) and the performance has not improved---it's actually worse which means I can hear the hum standing 20+ feet away. I took the pump apart to make sure there were no obstructions. I also ran the pump in a 5 gallon bucket no plumbing fittings and the same loud, annoying hum is emitted.

I have submitted a warranty claim. I hope this is not the normal level of performance I am expect. I have a Varios6 pump running my manifold and it is dead silent even when running at 100%.

Does anyone else have experience with the RedSea Reefrun DC pumps? If so, what has your experience been?
I have gone through the same problems with a 9000 noise was just stupid after running ecotec for years it was a major disappointment…..finished up with a refund and went back to ecotec …..runs virtually silent and I’m running the L2 at 80% which is far more water than the reef run ……I am now going through the same thing with the Red Sea 900 skimmer with the dc upgrade kit which is actually louder than the ac constant droning noise can only run it at night ……really is annoying do they not test before release …..such a shame because I have the 1200 reef Matt and it’s awesome and all the Red Sea stuff looks really good …..i hope you get something sorted soon

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce aka Red Sea Reefrun are just not very quiet

I thought my SDC 3.0s were quiet but they’re really not

They’re not horribly loud or anything but they’re not as quiet as some competitors

They’re great quality and have exceptional warranty support though

I really wanted to go with a reefrun but I don’t want the noise

I’m a huge sucker for Red Sea products tho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'ma say this as a PSA for those wanting to buy the skimmer or any other sicce pump item. Don't.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back