Fuge with cheto filled with detritus??

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rinse your chaeto in a bucket of saltwater. In fact I do it regularly with mine.

I do the same thing. When I do water changes I rinse my chaeto in 5 gallons of saltwater. Even doing it every week the water is a dark brown (Almost Black)

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just did mine yesterday I was so frustrated with it I just rinsed it under May tap water it was filled with tons of detritus this time instead of trying to seperate it to promote growth I just left it in a ball my dragons breath macro doesn't hold any detritus so I'm gonna let that grow might remove cheto if it keeps getting clogged I also sucked out most the sand and will be removing the rest over next wc have decided to use it as a settling tank makeing it super easy to remove detritus from 1-2 times a week into a filter sock

merle.mitchell.7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one for you all:
I thought I had the beginning of a cyanobactiria outbreak so I treated it with Chemiclean. Here is where I ran into trouble; I had no sign of cyanobactiria on the sand bed or glass, just the live rocks. I also had this deep beet red spongy stuff growing on the rock. As I said above I treated the tank with Chemiclean. The beet red stuff on the rocks? It turned GREEN! I talked to my buddy who owns a LFS. He said to scrub and spray the rocks, that he had seen it before but did not know what it really was. I started pulling loose frags off the rocks so I could remove it. While taking a break to study, how to do this, I watched a bristle worm poke up out of the rock and begin feeding on the green stuff, which is great because nothing else will touch it!

Any ideas on what this is, how to completely remove it and keep it from coming back would be great! (Sorry about the picture quality)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420210337064.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420210337064.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 426

dospirit79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I think I have some red balloon algae attacking my coral, the bright green "fingers" are no longer coming out, I am wondering if this is killing my coral and if I should remove it and how to remove it. Thanks for anyone who has advice.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421256107.247128.jpg

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the cyano in my fuge also. I bought 20 nerite snail and put them in the fuge and they go to town on the cyano. They even clean it off the 3 mangroves i got. Even though its in my fuge i never had it in my display tank

merle.mitchell.7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on my prior post: the purple, (that turned green) was obviously cyanobactiria since when it turned green after adding the Chemiclean. Shortly after that, it began flaking off. I removed the rocks and scrubbed them with a brush. Since then I've done 6 b 15 - gallon water changes and no reappearance. I never did get Cyanobactiria on the substrate, nor did it ever get stringy. Just the sponge like growth on the rocks.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good news! just fwiw, I let my fuge just kind of grow with algae and cyano - I don't worry about keeping it clean - if it starts to get really nasty, I'll remove some manually - also, you want to regularly take out some of your cheato as the growing is what helps with nutrient removal -

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuge now has hair all on glass to clean or not to clean ??
Display is pretty clean though

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned fuge of 90% of algae and have been rinsing my cheto ball during wc but I'm really not sure I'll keep the fuge going seems to be more of a detritus trap then anything else and I'm running 2 lights 15 hrs a day I'm thinking maybe ill just fill 1/2 of it with Lr rubble put egg crate on top and use to acclimate fish mybe frags down the road almost given up on cheto .....

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after the last rinsing of my cheto ball it was filled with nuisance algae and detritus I decided to toss It so now gonna use it to do wc and as a detritus settling tank keeping it bb so I can siphon out the bottom every few days into a sock !

Might add Lr or considering a natrureef chamber

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after the last rinsing of my cheto ball it was filled with nuisance algae and detritus I decided to toss It so now gonna use it to do wc and as a detritus settling tank keeping it bb so I can siphon out the bottom every few days into a sock !

Might add Lr or considering a natrureef chamber

I do the same thing. I've gone back and forth with the fuge and can't really tell any difference. I keep mine dark, BB and vacuum it now. The fuge is not much benefit in my tank that I can tell.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about plumbing one into my system to keep light cycles on opposite schedules for more stable pH.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to have cyano build up on the top of the chaeto which was exposed to air until I added a Koralia pump in my fuge. Now the chaeto is spinning and no more cyano:)

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Min had a pretty big ball in a 60 gal and if u picked some up so much crap would fall out and go into the water Column felt like it was acting more like a filter floss

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back