OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
After some time I got the Durso’s dialed in. Can’t hear a thing! Having extra storage under the tank is pretty nice too.

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpeg
    IMG_2518.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 55

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Easily accessible for maintenance. The Bashsea sumps are spacious and can really hold a ton of water!
This is an amazing build. I'm contemplating the same thing of doing a garage sump. I'm in southern california, so temps are pretty mellow.

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is an amazing build. I'm contemplating the same thing of doing a garage sump. I'm in southern california, so temps are pretty mellow.
I think you’d be very well off in socal. So far I love having the filtration in the garage. I’ve actually spent more time in the tent than in front of the tank haha. So much more room for everything instead of cramming under the tank

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think you’d be very well off in socal. So far I love having the filtration in the garage. I’ve actually spent more time in the tent than in front of the tank haha. So much more room for everything instead of cramming under the tank
Two questions, first the link for the grow tent you got. Second, it's my first sump so I'm curious if it still needs to be floor level for the overflow to work properly. I was trying to figure out how to have the sump higher so I don't have to bend over completely for maintenance stuff.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone else in Charleston that's moving water from the garage. This is awesome.

I only have my AWC set-up currently, but would LOVE to be able to move the whole sump into the garage and using a grow tent as an extra barrier is a great idea. Not sure I'd convince the Mrs. to let me drill more holes into the garage from our dining room. Two 1/4" holes took months of discussion :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

You actually have room to work in that sump! No crouching on the ground for you!

Koleswrath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's not in my garage but I do have a coat closet sump room. The closet is on the other side of the wall from my tank (which is in my living room). It's an absolute pleasure not having to bend down or stuff a ton of equipment in a stand. I built the sump narrow and high so it didn't take up too much of my coat closet. Lids are a necessity!!

sump final.jpg

This way I can keep my tank stand open and equipment free.
Room.jpg

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Two questions, first the link for the grow tent you got. Second, it's my first sump so I'm curious if it still needs to be floor level for the overflow to work properly. I was trying to figure out how to have the sump higher so I don't have to bend over completely for maintenance stuff.

Here is a link for the tent and the fan that links to it. Let me know if they don’t work. It’s the VivoSun 60x60x80.

As far as the sump goes there are probably a lot a variables that come into play. I wanted to have mine sitting higher originally- but wasn’t able to do so because of my internal overflows coming out of the bottom of the tank. I’m sure if you had an external overflow you could make something happen. This is also my first time plumbing my own sump. I think as long as your drain is able to siphon water then you’re fine. I’d confirm that though…

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As someone else in Charleston that's moving water from the garage. This is awesome.

I only have my AWC set-up currently, but would LOVE to be able to move the whole sump into the garage and using a grow tent as an extra barrier is a great idea. Not sure I'd convince the Mrs. to let me drill more holes into the garage from our dining room. Two 1/4" holes took months of discussion :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

You actually have room to work in that sump! No crouching on the ground for you!
I’m loving it so far! We will see how summer goes… I do think if I put an overpowered stand alone AC then I’ll be fine.

I surprisingly didn’t t have a hard time convincing the Mrs with this one haha.

Let me know I f you ever decide to give it a shot- you can always check mine out!

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update. So far so good! A little over a month of running the tank and no issues. I did my first water change and found that I have about 35g in the sump. I’m not as worried about the summer heat. Worst comes to worst, I throw a small portable ac unit in there.

Attachments

• IMG_3174.jpeg
    IMG_3174.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3172.jpeg
    IMG_3172.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update. Everything has been great so far! Water changes are super easy. Added my old 20 cube with leftover parts. Figured I’d go ahead and get something by cycling for a frag tank in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_3683.jpeg
    IMG_3683.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3682.jpeg
    IMG_3682.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 18

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine in the garage,although I don't have as much issues with humidity or heat as you would.
60g tanks (2x) to the right for the AWC and rodi. Don't have a pic of those.
I'd say one thing I didn't think about when I did it is that garages are usually sloped....so I had to improvise last minute. Wish I had thought about it and done an absolute level platform for the sump
PXL_20230915_214033221.jpg

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is mine in the garage,although I don't have as much issues with humidity or heat as you would.
60g tanks (2x) to the right for the AWC and rodi. Don't have a pic of those.
I'd say one thing I didn't think about when I did it is that garages are usually sloped....so I had to improvise last minute. Wish I had thought about it and done an absolute level platform for the sump
PXL_20230915_214033221.jpg
Wow that’s nice! I’d like to get the awc’s set up eventually. I had to put some shims under the platform for the sump to keep it level. Wish I had a sink like that too!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back