Getting a 300 gallon tank and need help with plumbing/Lighting

JGarner6323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This is my first post and first time using reef2reef.I currently have a 14 gallon biocube which i have had for about 13 months. I'm currently getting a 48x48x36in tank that i will be wanting to turn into my main reef tank. With it being such a large tank but also the dimensions, i have no clue how to properly light it. Meanwhile with plumbing i was planning on getting a sump and doing a herbie overflow in the corner. Any and all advice is welcome as im still relatively new to reef keeping. And for those who ask, the tank is a gift from a friends dad.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off Welcome to R2R!! Second congratulations on the new tank!! With lighting a tank that size really depends on which route you want to venture down. You will get tons of mixed reviews on how as well. Money not an issue? Then some will say all Led. If so then maybe all T5s or a mixture of both. BRS has great videos on lighting and the differences between then all!

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.png

It can be daunting. I'm going through the same process.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
Does the 300 already drilled? if it's not, before drilling you want to make sure its not tempered glass.
its glass, right? or Acrylic?

You might want to look at if you want a peninsula tank or not. Depending the placement of your tank, peninsula might be better to look at. 3 sides.

You also can look at the monster tank build threads. They can give you more ideas about your plumbing and stuff

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back