getting a zoa

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a zoa but I’m scared of the toxins. Is there any that isn’t as toxic?
As far as I know, any and all  might be toxic, but none are guaranteed to be toxic or non-toxic.

As long as you take precautions when handling and fragging, you should be okay. I wear safety goggles, a mask, and gloves just to be safe. When you frag, be quick and don't cut into a polyp.

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing a lot of reading myself on the topic. I won't profess to be an expert - but it seems that most pose minimal hazard given basic precautions. There are a small subset of Palys that however are quite potent. Some research on the threads here should help you out.

But I am with you - based on some of the horror stories, you want to be sure you know what you're getting :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a zoa but I’m scared of the toxins. Is there any that isn’t as toxic?
I just glued and re arranged a bunch of new zoa frags in my zoa garden. Just make sure you dont have open cuts when handeling and try to just touch the frag plug and not the polyps! I have a big rock that I have to touch if I need to move it (like yesterday when my engineer knocked the whole rock scape down) and they get “slimey” when releasing. Never hurt my fish and I wash my hands after handling. Just dont have fish or emerald crabs that will eat them, I lost 3 emeralds randomly before figuring out they were eating my zoas. My favorite coral for sure

OP
OP
JustJosh103

JustJosh103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing a lot of reading myself on the topic. I won't profess to be an expert - but it seems that most pose minimal hazard given basic precautions. There are a small subset of Palys that however are quite potent. Some research on the threads here should help you out.

But I am with you - based on some of the horror stories, you want to be sure you know what you're getting :)
Okay thank you

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Point of clarification.

Palys can absolutely do some damage if they're mismanaged. These types are the brown button polyps, capt American, Capt jerks, any of the 'death' varieties, beauty and the beast, etc. These are true palys and you can tell because the tissue is different.

There's a large group of zoas that are commonly referred to as palys but this is actually incorrect. These include Nirvanas, Sunny D's, Pink Zippers, basically any of the larger zoas. While these can still squirt and release mucus its not on the same level as true palys. If basic precautions are taken and PPE is worn they pose no risk to you, your aquarium's inhabitants or anyone/thing in your house hold.

Then you have any number of smaller, what's thought of as traditional, zoas that don't really squirt when fragged nor release much, if any mucus. Think gatorades, bam bams, rastas, etc.

In almost every case where an incident occurs its because a person is attempting manual or chemical removal of the coral from rock work.

Don't let some of the fear mongering around zoas prevent you from jumping into the deep end of the zoa pool. Few if any other coral types come close to matching them in color, tolerance, or general enjoyment.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150G and i decided against zoas. And instead im doing a mushroom island. My theory is if theres something you’re afraid of 1% why get it from the first place? Because one day you’re going to have to frag them, or move them around. Or even adjust them on the rock if they get knocked out. A lot of beautiful corals out there dont get stuck on zoas. I did my research. All of them have it. All of them. How poten the palytoxins is in some, we cant tell without a w crazy microscope.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a 150G and i decided against zoas. And instead im doing a mushroom island. My theory is if theres something you’re afraid of 1% why get it from the first place? Because one day you’re going to have to frag them, or move them around. Or even adjust them on the rock if they get knocked out. A lot of beautiful corals out there dont get stuck on zoas. I did my research. All of them have it. All of them. How poten the palytoxins is in some, we cant tell without a w crazy microscope.

I respect the position. Everyone has a different tolerance for risk. But, it's also a matter of accurately assessing what, if any, risk is actually present. Frankly, it's also a shame to lose out on such a colorful and diverse group of corals.

As for working with zoas (or any coral) its akin to owning and driving a car. It might be intimidating to do your oil, replace a battery or changing a tire on the side of the road but its all part of it. Just so, managing and fragging (if necessary) coral is part of having a reef tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back