GFO and pinched mantle

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody running phosphate reactors and succesfully keeping clams at the same time without pinched mantles?

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are your clams? As a general rule any clam that is less than 3" can suffer from pinched mantle, even without running a reactor.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that a slow introduction to using the reactor would be best. Maybe start with only a small amount of material in it and work up from there so as to avoid a sudden drop in organics and other materials in the water. The best solution though is to use RO/DI that doesn't contain any phosphate. The amount added to the tank via feeding should be low and easily removed through regular water changes.

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a phos reactor in a tank with 7 clams. Its a very nutrient low tank, but I feed live phyto. That tanks gets 1L of phytoplankton at least 3 times a week

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one clam in my tank. I run Phosphate reactor and have not seen any pinched mantle. I will watch closer over the next few days to see.

I am very soon going to change out the GFO media. I guess it may be a good idea to remove the old and only add back a little of the new at a time so as not to totally strip out the phosphate.

Candycane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's specifically know what pinched mantle is caused by.

I am BY NO MEANS RECOMMENDING THIS but I have had luck curing clams (not mine) with Paraguard. Thing is, that I wouldn't recommend it to others because I have not seen the long term effects on a Tridacna Clam.

Most of the time I have seen pinched mantle, it seems to be induced by stress or other tank factors. Temperature seems to play a rather large role.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back