Gfo quantity and quality question

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious as to why Rowaphos recommends to use only about 1/8 what BRS recommends for their high capacity version. My understanding is rowa is the same thing as GFO but has not been recycled. My other questions are why does Rowaphos come damp and is it still as effective if it dries out?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious as to why Rowaphos recommends to use only about 1/8 what BRS recommends for their high capacity version. My understanding is rowa is the same thing as GFO but has not been recycled. My other questions are why does Rowaphos come damp and is it still as effective if it dries out?
Sime thoughts.

All GFO brands are probably the same chemical but the size and strength of the particles might not be.

GFO particles crumble easily and form dust when dry. Maybe storing it went cuts down on breakage by clumping the particles and preventing them from bouncing against each other and breaking.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer probably lies in the surface area of the particles.

I believe some forms of GFO have a higher surface area due to the internal structure of the particles, so that the surface area is greater than the visible outside area.

The higher the surface area, the greater the amount of phosphate that can bind to the surface of the particle.
The dampness of some brands (and related warning against allowing to dry out) probably relate to that structure.

In practice, I have found that some brands of GFO bind noticeably higher amounts of phosphate per gram.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommending less might also just be a marketing thing or a more conservative approach. I have no reason to think Rowa is more potent.

I also do not know what the recycled comment relates to as I doubt any of the commercial products are recycled.

I expect most brand are made by the one or two large industrial suppliers. Phosphate binding is an after thought. The big market is arsenic binding of potable well water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back