GFO Reactor or dose for PO4 Reduction in 25G mixed reef?

Skiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm running a mixed reef in a 25G Waterbox peninsula. Excellent flow, 10-12% water changes weekly in a four-month old tank that has TBS "The Package" in terms of live rock/sand and CUC. My nitrates have run 5-8ppm for three months on the trot, but I can't get my phosphate to drop below 0.1ppm. No real issues besides some minimal hair algae, but was wondering if anyone runs a GFO reactor on their nano? If so, is there one you recommend? Was peaking at the NYOS 1.0.

I've never dosed Rx, but wondering if folks have had success slowly dosing it in-system so as to not shock my parameters? I basically want to drive down PO4 just to get more coloration out of the SPS I have.

Any past experience is very welcome!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 4 month old tank, I'd just do slightly bigger water changes and maybe feed a bit less. No need to get crazy with GFO or other chemical fixes yet. Your tank isn't done settling in and maturing yet.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes won't usually lower po4 that much since more is bound to the rocks and sand than is in the water column. 0.10 is not that bad. I would not do anthing about it unless you are testing with a good tool like a Hannah Ultra Low checker.

While some SPS might not color well under 0.10 of po4, many will. If you see wholesale bad color, this is not likely the cause. If you have one or two that are kinda known to need ocean level waste products to look good, then that is different. Lights are very important in colors, IMO... then stability and then parameters, IME. I would rather have best of breed lights and so-so parameters than the other way around.

Hair algae can thrive with undetectable po4 - they can get phosphorous from many other forms that you cannot test for. I would get some more consumers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back