Gig ‘ems Grand Gigantea Gathering

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still on the hunt for a purple and red gig and then I'll consider my collection complete lol

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In true spirit of this thread without trying to hijack it. I just ordered 2 more gigs from corals anonymous. I know some on here didn't have good experience with them but I've bought 3 nems from them and they all arrived in good condition and are doing well in my nem tank. I'm wondering if these gigs will color up more over time.

FullSizeRender_6c78c6e9-eb3c-4fa1-a4cf-404a63c26609_1296x.jpg FullSizeRender_fbec23b8-7874-4b4d-aafe-a5019b48cb13_1296x.jpg
Pretty sure the white one is bleached ...as for the other - on the site pic #2 has a gaping open mouth ..I'd treat ANYTHING that came from that place

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I'm sure the white one is bleached, but IMO I think the bleached nems are easier to qt, and I'm curious what it's natural coloration is. And yes, anything and everything goes into qt for a minium of 14 days. And that 14 day clock starts once I see normal signs of a healthy nem, no deflation or signs of infection. But I have had great luck ordering nems from CA. Maybe I'm the lucky one, pm me for your winning lottery numbers for this week's drawing lol.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I'm sure the white one is bleached, but IMO I think the bleached nems are easier to qt, and I'm curious what it's natural coloration is. And yes, anything and everything goes into qt for a minium of 14 days. And that 14 day clock starts once I see normal signs of a healthy nem, no deflation or signs of infection. But I have had great luck ordering nems from CA. Maybe I'm the lucky one, pm me for your winning lottery numbers for this week's drawing lol.
Wow you move fast, I didn't see those nems pop up :D you've gotta keep us updated!

looks like there's still plenty more in stock, hmmmmmmmmm do i grab another one?

I think CAnon is aware how difficult it is to ship gigs, and they definitely seem to know how to care for them at their facility. the fact that they are still willing to ship, with the hope that the buyer will know how to treat it if things go wrong. is very impressive to me. :)

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fact that they are still willing to ship, with the hope that the buyer will know how to treat it if things go wrong. is very impressive to me. :)
You must be smokin' something ,dude ...they could care less what happens after that gig leaves their facility

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must be smokin' something ,dude ...they could care less what happens after that gig leaves their facility
just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

this is my thought process: they are one of the two sites i've seen list giganteas in the past 12 months. we can't write them off as evil when they're paying freight fees on all these gigs to get them from overseas, despite a probably very low survival rate.

then because they come in sick, there's a higher-than-average maintenance cost for these gigs despite them only being desired by a very niche market.

they're not altruists, they're trying to make money. but they're doing so in a way that distinctly benefits us. do you see where i'm coming from?

i'm happy to direct my funds elsewhere if someone comes along who can magically ship gigs without any risk of infection. ^_^

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In true spirit of this thread without trying to hijack it. I just ordered 2 more gigs from corals anonymous. I know some on here didn't have good experience with them but I've bought 3 nems from them and they all arrived in good condition and are doing well in my nem tank. I'm wondering if these gigs will color up more over time.

FullSizeRender_6c78c6e9-eb3c-4fa1-a4cf-404a63c26609_1296x.jpg FullSizeRender_fbec23b8-7874-4b4d-aafe-a5019b48cb13_1296x.jpg
I did the same! Wished i hadn't.

Somebody tag them here, i dont know their @.

The shipment was delayed 24 hours and one of the gigs was soup when i opened the bag.

They are contesting a refund. When i was selling gigs if the thing showed up as soup, youd get your money back no problem.

From what i know they are a bunch socal kids who buy boxes and resell. I honestly feel embarrassed that i purchased from them with a name like Corals Anon. Uncle Ali wouldn't let me hear the end of it if he knew.

We will see if i get my money back, stay tuned.

EDIT: I had been drinking when i ordered, true story.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THAT SUCKS. Forget everything I said, if they won’t treat @Asagi with respect out of all people, I think we should boycott.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did someone here pick up the teal/baby blue gig that was on their site last night?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah don’t boycott. Give them business! Give everyone business! These gigs need good homes!

I have mixed feelings about this. Places like Live Aquaria (at least the "old" LA) stopped selling gigs, and I suspect it's because they had to give refunds left and right. Blue Zoo Aquatics used to have them all the time, but I don't remember the last time I saw them on their site.

My point is that some sites just won't sell them. Others will if we keep buying them. I think for for the most part, by the time they get to the US, most are too far gone and won't survive no matter what we do.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed feelings about this. Places like Live Aquaria (at least the "old" LA) stopped selling gigs, and I suspect it's because they had to give refunds left and right. Blue Zoo Aquatics used to have them all the time, but I don't remember the last time I saw them on their site.

My point is that some sites just won't sell them. Others will if we keep buying them. I think for for the most part, by the time they get to the US, most are too far gone and won't survive no matter what we do.
I agree that unless set up for it, not all should sell. Especially if they don’t want to deal with refunds.

I gotta disagree with us not being able to rehab whatever we get (unless it’s soup). The worst gig I ever treated had a hole all the way from its mouth out the bottom of its foot. Like a donut. It was jelly, but intact. I thought why not. Did the antibiotic regimen and it made a 100% recovery . Pretty sure one of you boys ended up buying it.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did someone here pick up the teal/baby blue gig that was on their site last night?
It was still available today at like 3 pacific, i assume someone copped it or it died lol

@Asagi do you follow orion’s guide to the letter? that’s an incredible recovery. i got a similarly sick one from Ali (i should have just let him keep treating it, he tried to warn me lol) but i think i just pickled it lol.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was still available today at like 3 pacific, i assume someone copped it or it died lol

@Asagi do you follow orion’s guide to the letter? that’s an incredible recovery. i got a similarly sick one from Ali (i should have just let him keep treating it, he tried to warn me lol) but i think i just pickled it lol.
oh dang! Let’s hope UPS doesn’t poop the bed on delivery for whoever got that teal one. Honestly, if I ever sell again I might do freight through an airline. None of these stupid carrier delays. It’s ridiculous!

Ole uncle Ali. The apple of his mothers eye. That ole boy knows all there is to know, and it the godfather to my son. I’m surprised he sold it hahaha!!

I’d say the only thing I do different is I’m not as diligent on water changes, I use 500mg tabs with maybe 3 gallons of water and I use established tank water instead of new mix. I brought all kinds of nems back to life with that method. All born from sheer laziness!!!

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh and I buy my gigs from this guy
IMG_2478.gif

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I buy my gigs from this guy
IMG_2478.gif
Yeah that was me a few yes ago when I was doing crossfit with jean-claude van damme lol. QUOTE="Asagi, post: 11729369, member: 50443"]
I agree that unless set up for it, not all should sell. Especially if they don’t want to deal with refunds.

I gotta disagree with us not being able to rehab whatever we get (unless it’s soup). The worst gig I ever treated had a hole all the way from its mouth out the bottom of its foot. Like a donut. It was jelly, but intact. I thought why not. Did the antibiotic regimen and it made a 100% recovery . Pretty sure one of you boys ended up buying it.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with you that we can provide a gig with a greater habitat and chance of survival than if we let it stay in a retailers display tank. And with that thought I'll take my chances if possible.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised he sold it hahaha!!
In his defense, I had some delusions of grandeur about my cipro skillz...

He talks about you often :) do you stop by his shop frequently? We need a gigs anonymous support group

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not saying we're not able to rehab them. I'm saying a vast majority of them never make it past the wholesaler. Those who are better connected are shipping direct from the exporter.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hot2na I may have missed something but why is it that blue light (windex look) is not gig friendly?
The shallower are the species occurs in nature, the whiter light they are adapted to. Gigs are often exposed at low tide, so very shallow.

It’s also my anecdotal experience that anemones prefer whiter spectrum.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 48.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back