Glass Aquarium “markings”

Hard2bej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’ve been really struggling with deciding what to do. Story is I want to upgrade my 125 gal to a 180. I found a used 180 for $250, it wasn’t cleaned when I went to look at it/pick it up but I didn’t see any bad scratching and the glass just looked to have old algae and coraline on it. I bought the tank because it looked like it would clean up really well and no bad scratches. After getting home and actually cleaning it, I noticed obvious spots where powerheads and whatever else they had held with magnets on each end and one spot on the back glass. They don’t look like scratches but a haze of sorts. The entire front glass is hazy without water but seems ok with water in the tank. I can’t get over the markings on each end. I don’t know if aquarium lighting will make them worse? I’ve tried it all, vinegar, citric acid, muriatic acid ect. Can’t scrape it. Anyone know what it is? Is the glass etched permanently? Let me know thoughts. Anyone else have experience with it? Thanks in advance!

IMG_1789.jpeg IMG_1790.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a calcium build up that etches itself into the glass. Happens in hard water like our reefs or very hard freshwater. I had this issue recently I tried to clean it with everything. Nothing took it off. It would look clear but as soon as you put salt water and typical reef lighting you'll see it.

I did a lot of research and finally found cerium oxide. Its a lot of work but it comes out crystal clear. You need to polish the glass with it. I used a cordless drill and wool polishing discs. Keep it damp with a spray bottle while you work. Do smaller sections at a time like a 12"x24". If you look at my build thread the tank was badly fogged from my hard well water. This tank was a holding tank for my Fahaka puffer for about a year. One of the members here helped me to use it. There is a set he used to help but I would try using it like the directions say first. If its still a bit foggy let the cerium dry on the glass then polish it off with a very soft dry cloth. I had to do this in a couple spots its scary because you can really scratch the glass doing this.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be alkali glass corrosion? The hazing of the entire front glass brought to mind this Tidal Gardens vid.

yes that is most likely what it is. That is basically what mine was. Very hard alk water can cause it like my well water which I use in my fresh tanks. All of my fresh tanks have this to some degree. With typical fresh water in the tank and typical fresh water lighting its not really noticeable. If you put salt water or ro/di water it become much more noticeable with typical reef light very noticeable.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So just use some magnetic rocks over that area. Let's be honest, you can let coralline grow over it there or even a coral. I would not sweat the imperfections. I'd just plan with it and love the sweet deal on a huge tank!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just use some magnetic rocks over that area. Let's be honest, you can let coralline grow over it there or even a coral. I would not sweat the imperfections. I'd just plan with it and love the sweet deal on a huge tank!
This is a good idea for small areas or side/back panels you may not care about. If its the whole front panel you will need to polish it.

OP
OP
Hard2bej

Hard2bej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a calcium build up that etches itself into the glass. Happens in hard water like our reefs or very hard freshwater. I had this issue recently I tried to clean it with everything. Nothing took it off. It would look clear but as soon as you put salt water and typical reef lighting you'll see it.

I did a lot of research and finally found cerium oxide. Its a lot of work but it comes out crystal clear. You need to polish the glass with it. I used a cordless drill and wool polishing discs. Keep it damp with a spray bottle while you work. Do smaller sections at a time like a 12"x24". If you look at my build thread the tank was badly fogged from my hard well water. This tank was a holding tank for my Fahaka puffer for about a year. One of the members here helped me to use it. There is a set he used to help but I would try using it like the directions say first. If its still a bit foggy let the cerium dry on the glass then polish it off with a very soft dry cloth. I had to do this in a couple spots its scary because you can really scratch the glass doing this.
Thank you, I’m going to try this

OP
OP
Hard2bej

Hard2bej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I’ve actually looked for that exact thing. I’m going to try the cerium and if I don’t like the look, that’s what I’ll have to do. I just don’t want to go through all the work of moving from the 125 to the 180 and be totally disappointed in how it looks. That would be depressing! lol

OP
OP
Hard2bej

Hard2bej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good idea for small areas or side/back panels you may not care about. If its the whole front panel you will need to polish it.
Like I said, I’m more concerned about the calcium spots from where they had power heads and stuff that apparently they never moved to clean behind. The front panel isn’t noticeable when filled with water

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, I’m more concerned about the calcium spots from where they had power heads and stuff that apparently they never moved to clean behind. The front panel isn’t noticeable when filled with water
before you 100% decide its good (probably is this isnt a common thing actually) Fill it with ro/di At least part way and put some blue light over it to make sure. I have a 30g that I thought was good looked good with fresh water filled it with salt added sand rocks and lights..... totally not good.

OP
OP
Hard2bej

Hard2bej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread update, the cerium oxide is working perfectly, a little time and elbow grease, most of the areas I was concerned about are now unnoticeable without water. I’ll do the front glass also, the tank is empty and it’s relatively easy. Thanks again. I can post before and after if anyone wants.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread update, the cerium oxide is working perfectly, a little time and elbow grease, most of the areas I was concerned about are now unnoticeable without water. I’ll do the front glass also, the tank is empty and it’s relatively easy. Thanks again. I can post before and after if anyone wants.
yeah do! I forgot to get before pics on my tank to show how much different it was.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to say as I guess there is a difference in the colors the red works much better then the white.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back