Glass spacers for SOY builds??

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I can get some aquarium glass spacers for a DIY aquarium build?? I cannot find any and i plan to build my own aquarium soon, but befor then I am converting a couple of small tanks into refugiums and want to practice using them before I start building my tank.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about that, I would look for tile spacers, for grout, at home improvement stores.

OP
OP
Chris Harbaugh

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not too sure tile will work. These spacers are made of either plastic or acrylic and maintain a proper 1/8" gap so that the glass panel's can be silicone together. I can make some from a sheet of acrylic, but if I can buy some already made I would prefer that.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they are TILE SPACERS that come in like 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 sizes. They are used to space the tiles when you lay them to get them uniform.

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I can get some aquarium glass spacers for a DIY aquarium build?? I cannot find any and i plan to build my own aquarium soon, but befor then I am converting a couple of small tanks into refugiums and want to practice using them before I start building my tank.
Well seeing that no one has an remedy for your question I think the guy that is talking about the tile spacers might have something however i plan to use plastic white tie wraps or clear if I can find it 1/8"

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used cut up zip ties for spacers on the glass for my plywood tank builds. There are some different sizes out there to get different thicknesses. The only issue with tile spacers is that the thinner ones compress under pressure so it depends on how they are being used.

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have extensive knowledge of the ends and outs of this hobby. I will not hesitate to follow your advice. I have been on this forum for some time trying to get info on spacers for my 135G build, some say spacers, some say no spacers, but common sense says plastic zip ties will work just fine. As for the extra bracing in the corners just makes sense to me, maybe unsightly but for me as brand new to fish keeping its solid construction (peace of mind, my first go at gluing the glass together was a total disaster spent 2 weeks cleaning the silicone off the glass) you were saying that you installed 2" strips in the corners for extra support. my glass guy here cut me 1"x1/2" strips that I plan to glue 2 pieces together and to install a pair in each corner. I just subscribed to your U-TUBE channel and plan to "power watch" all of them. THANKS for the info Alex

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to do is test out whatever you plan to use for spacers on some scrap glass to make sure it works as intended. I have seen a few methods to use spacers during assembly. I think the best one I saw was the method custom aquariums uses where they assemble the entire tank with spacers and clamps (there is a youtube video on their site that shows the process). Then they inject the silicone into the seams so they are not having to worry about skin times on the silicone or moving the glass into position.

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to do is test out whatever you plan to use for spacers on some scrap glass to make sure it works as intended. I have seen a few methods to use spacers during assembly. I think the best one I saw was the method custom aquariums uses where they assemble the entire tank with spacers and clamps (there is a youtube video on their site that shows the process). Then they inject the silicone into the seams so they are not having to worry about skin times on the silicone or moving the glass into position.
I was watching your vid about installing the glass in your plywood 700G ??? as I received your reply when you were talking about plastic spacers, you and your wife made it look so easy.!! Yes I have seen a few vids about assembling the whole tank with plastic spacers with corner clamps. That is something that I have been thinking about. I saw a vid shot in a aquarium manufacturing co. using plastic 1/8" spacers, should the spacers be glued down Pryor to silicone?? with maybe with a drop of super glue?? to keep them in place. Just bought a trigger cr44 sump today should get it here in Panama in about 3 weeks. OK let me get back to your video LOL. Thanks for responding Alex

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I installed my glass I did a tiny dab of RTV 108 on the spacers and put them on the glass about 15-30min before sealing the glass so they did not move.

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I installed my glass I did a tiny dab of RTV 108 on the spacers and put them on the glass about 15-30min before sealing the glass so they did not move.
OK I'm going to do my tank assembly using the assembly method in the vid you recommended. Also I'm ordering a battery back up system from BRS (Vortec) but I read some negative comments in their reviews any ideas?? Thanks David

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery backups in general work but batteries sometimes fail which is in unavoidable no matter what type is being used. There are ways to DIY a battery backup but I have not done it before. I believe there are a few different DIY battery ideas on the forum ppl have shared.

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery backups in general work but batteries sometimes fail which is in unavoidable no matter what type is being used. There are ways to DIY a battery backup but I have not done it before. I believe there are a few different DIY battery ideas on the forum ppl have shared.
OK , before I spend the $200 I'll check the forum DIY

THANKS Alex

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used cut up zip ties for spacers on the glass for my plywood tank builds. There are some different sizes out there to get different thicknesses. The only issue with tile spacers is that the thinner ones compress under pressure so it depends on how they are being used.
Hey Alex, I see a lot of tanks with euro bracing sitting on top of the aquarium glass and some inside the glass. as my overflow is 1" below the top I guess I am forced to install the euro bracing on the top???

Attachments

• 20210411_114750.jpg
    20210411_114750.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 66

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Alex, I see a lot of tanks with euro bracing sitting on top of the aquarium glass and some inside the glass. as my overflow is 1" below the top I guess I am forced to install the euro bracing on the top???

I am not sure on the difference in strength between an inside mounted Euro brace and one mounted on the top the the glass. I would do some research on that one to see if there is a real difference in strength or if it is more of an aesthetic choice.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back