Going to Hawaii! Best snorkeling?

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Headed to Oahu tomorrow at 6 am for a week! Would like to snorkel reefs and tide pools as much as possible. Can anyone recommend any snorkel locations and/or day trip charters that offer great reef and fauna viewing? Never been to the Pacific!

Lord_Spice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sandy beach also has some cool tide pools where you can see some cool stuff out of the water.

Lord_Spice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's true ! I wish I still lived in Hawaii I loved exploring the tide pools!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I went to Lanai, Maui and Kauai. I have been to all the Islands but try to stay away from Oahu as I find it like Manhattan with palm trees. I do love the outer Islands and get as far from civilization and tourists as possible.
The best way to see Hawaii is by helicopter. Then you can get a guide and go and visit a place you found from the air. I am jealous and can't wait to get back.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I went to Lanai, Maui and Kauai. I have been to all the Islands but try to stay away from Oahu as I find it like Manhattan with palm trees. I do love the outer Islands and get as far from civilization and tourists as possible.
The best way to see Hawaii is by helicopter. Then you can get a guide and go and visit a place you found from the air. I am jealous and can't wait to get back.

Good idea Paul. I also agree with you on Oahu. It was my least favorite.

~ CI

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanauma Bay is really enjoyable. Yes, there are a ton of people but there are also a lot of different species of fish. I managed to see all sorts of tangs, butterflys, wrasse, along with some eels and an octopus. I recommend you get here as early as possible to beat the crowds. Plus, the fish are usually more active in the morning. The North Shore is worth a drive up there. I would stop at Sharks Cove and Three Tables. These two spots are like half a mile from each other and are very nice and full of a variety of fish. Three Tables was my favorite spot for sure, and I even got to see some baby boxfish. Oahu is my favorite island. Yes, Waikiki is very crowded and feels like a huge city, but if you head to the North Shore it is very isolated. You will have fun.

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just returned from there a month ago. It was my first time as well. We stayed with some friends on the North Shore. Hanauma Bay is really nice. I highly recommend going right when they open or even get there 30 minutes before. It gets crowded. One of my favorite spots is Sharks Cove on the North Shore. It has a very shallow area where you can watch fish up close and a deep part where there are often turtle. Have a great time. Please share some photos with us when you return.

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. If you want to see lots of coral rent a boat and go to Kane ohe Bay. It's a sand bar that has amazing snorkeling. I went with an army friend who can rent boats from the navy. I'm not sure how you would go about renting a boat to get there, but trust me it is worth it. There is also a sunk'n ship.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason the sharks disappeared from Hawaii so these guys are all over the place. I like them better than sharks anyway.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever go to Kauai charter a boat to Niihau and snorkel off of the bird island or whatever it is called. Blows the inhabited aslands away in terms of diversity and unspoiledness (if that's even a word). We saw crown of thorns, pyramid butterflies, an octopus and many amazing nudis along with the more common stuff. Corals were also present which you don't see much of off the main islands.

Louie661

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a map of the island at one of many ABC stores, I bought one that was laminated came in very useful. I ditched all the tourist attractions depots and the wife and I just drove the island and pulled over where ever looked good. We had a blast in sure you will as well.

Reef_Lounge_USA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Electric Beach. Pretty good snorkeling there. Probably the best coral cover I saw on the island too. Was recommended to me by the dive shop I dove with. Only two other people on the beach when I was there. Good spot to catch a sunset too.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back