Gold mouth green rim chalice?

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

My wife was up at the LFS and could not pass up this gem for my valentine's day gift. I'm working overnight so I haven't seen it in person, she just sent me this pic. 90% of me wants to say it's a chalice, the other 10% is thinking maybe an echi? What do you guys think? It has alot of the same characteristics as my golden eye watermelon chalice. Anyone want to take a swing at it? Whatever it is I assume $30 bucks was a decent steal as they didn't know what it was :p
20160208_152724.jpeg

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say acan based off of the patterns around the eyes.

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
echinata? I am more of a stick head but thought I would give my 2 cents, I would be concerned about all the stuff around the plug.

I was thinking maybe echi but looking at flesh textures it looks more like a chalice. The echi's and acans have similar textures and polyps, I'll be able to tell for sure when it's feeding time. The head placement doesn't look like acan though.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a random acan echi pic, if you look you can see how similar the patterns and textures are to your pic
rg-spectrum-acan-echinata-house-of-fins.jpg

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hit the grand price! I am not talking about the coral, don't care much about that chalice or enchinata :); What is a better gift than a wife giving a reefer dude corals on valentines day!!!!!

Hey guys,

My wife was up at the LFS and could not pass up this gem for my valentine's day gift. I'm working overnight so I haven't seen it in person, she just sent me this pic. 90% of me wants to say it's a chalice, the other 10% is thinking maybe an echi? What do you guys think? It has alot of the same characteristics as my golden eye watermelon chalice. Anyone want to take a swing at it? Whatever it is I assume $30 bucks was a decent steal as they didn't know what it was :p
20160208_152724.jpeg

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a random acan echi pic, if you look you can see how similar the patterns and textures are to your pic
rg-spectrum-acan-echinata-house-of-fins.jpg
That does look quite similar. I have never owned an echi or acan so it was hard for me to tell.

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hit the grand price! I am not talking about the coral, don't care much about that chalice or enchinata :); What is a better gift than a wife giving a reefer dude corals on valentines day!!!!!

Lol you ain't lying, she's a keeper!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry, my hermits will take care of that HA.

20160208_191051.jpeg
That is an acan for sure, beautiful coral. Make sure you give it enough room, they do NOT play well with others.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all post it is an enchinata and it hates all other corals except echinatas. They will attack any other acan or coral within 3" of itself. Not too many corals survive an echinata attack. They are beautiful corals but not like neighbors.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shep, you posted an acan, but not echinata - that's acanthastrea rotundoflora.

The OPs coral is an acanthastrea echinata.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shep, you posted an acan, but not echinata - that's acanthastrea rotundoflora.

The OPs coral is an acanthastrea echinata.
SOrry about that, just grabbed a random google image, should have looked closer.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool pic showing how aggressive these guys are. Not my pic, I leave PLENTY of room around mine. Love these corals.

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all post it is an enchinata and it hates all other corals except echinatas. They will attack any other acan or coral within 3" of itself. Not too many corals survive an echinata attack. They are beautiful corals but not like neighbors.

Thank you for the heads up, I had it by my bubblegum monster, that would have enraged me!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back