View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order of water flow

Comes in through grate
1) Layer of filter floss or sponge
2) inside media basket - bag of chemipure
3) bio wheel - remove, replace with a handful of Seachem Matrix or Live rock rubble
4) return pump - suitable for filtration purposes but not enough flow for corals. If doing a few small fish only it will likely be ok. If doing coral you will need to add a power head or wavemaker in the tank

Wave maker suggestion

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order of water flow

Comes in through grate
1) Layer of filter floss or sponge
2) inside media basket - bag of chemipure
3) bio wheel - remove, replace with a handful of Seachem Matrix or Live rock rubble
4) return pump - suitable for filtration purposes but not enough flow for corals. If doing a few small fish only it will likely be ok. If doing coral you will need to add a power head or wavemaker in the tank

Wave maker suggestion
I bought a power head already, but thanks for making sure. However, for the replacing the bio-wheel, I also found Fluval BioMax Biological Material Remover 500G. Do you think this also works?

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull bio wheel and filter cartridge.

I use stuffing as well as filter floss on top. This will last a while, I’m going on a year withthe roll on my 13.5g Evo.

Stuffing - PolyFill -

Floss -
Aquatic Experts Aquarium Filter Floss for Fish Tank Filters - FilterFirst Aquarium Filter Pad - Aquarium Filter Media Roll for Crystal Clear Water, 3/4" - 1" Thick (12 Inch Wide, 72 Inch Long) https://a.co/d/1BNuRIm

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank in a 20 gallon all in one, and I’m planning on stocking it with a pair of Darwin clowns, and one other fish
If that's the limit of your stocking then it shouldn't be an issue. Clowns are tough fish. What the other fish is what may cause concerns. Unless keeping delicate corals then filtration doesn't need to be extreme. Marineland will work just fine. Plus you can add rock to the display which will aide in biological depending how porous it is and amount of surface area it provides. Although three fish likely not causing much in the way of pollution.

Look into carbon dosing to resolve your nitrates and phosphates or just do a 30% WC when needed. Just because it has saltwater fish doesn't mean it's full blown reef needing more extensive equipment.

Have never used the bio wheel although I actually have one of their filters. Could just rinse it often and keep it somewhat clean. Bacteria will survive being rinsed in tap even though that's fresh and contains chlorine. Just don't do it for more than a few quick minutes. They are easy enough to remove and service. Monitor ammonia and nitrite and see how that goes. Be surprised how little is needed to process ammonia and nitrites with latter less of an issue in salt than fresh where it's lethal. Worse case. Upgrade the filtration later. Hobby is expensive enough. No need buying that never needed. Not everyone needs live rock and a skimmer.

Neoma369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Bio-Wheel from Marineland, I’m planning on this tank being a reef tank, is this filter good?
PS.. My heater and other filtration is from Marineland too, are these products good?
Marine Land products are my favorite

carol3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, if you keep soft corals and have a small bio load that filter will work fine, lots of nano people use hang on backs or aio. This is a 2 yr old tank and it's never had anything but a hob and heater, I have had to give away some corals due to one of my yellow clown gobies being a coral murderer so
I only have:

6 masked gobies
2 yellow clown gobies
pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby
2 skunk cleaner shrimp, dove snails,
macros, gorgonians and a few softies

So yes, low bioload, you can get away with more though.

I think on a minimalist tank water changes are important, I do 10-15% a week. I rigged my hob with a cut up piece of filter sock and I take it out and rinse it with the hose, easy! I also use well water, no RO, so yes salt water nano tanks can be easy. I do still have to dose NeoNitrate and NeoPhos and some ChaetoGro but thats all....easy :)

I also have a 10 gal, hob and heater only

A very important thing, I did start my tanks with real live rock.

IMG_20240420_175550638_HDR (1).jpg

Last edited:

carol3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, check out the minimalist reefer thread on R2R, you will see lots of cool minimalist tanks.

carol3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, if you keep soft corals and have a small bio load that filter will work fine, lots of nano people use hang on backs or aio. This is a 2 yr old tank and it's never had anything but a hob and heater, I have had to give away some corals due to one of my yellow clown gobies being a coral murderer so
I only have:

6 masked gobies
2 yellow clown gobies
pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby
2 skunk cleaner shrimp, dove snails,
macros, gorgonians and a few softies

So yes, low bioload, you can get away with more though.

I think on a minimalist tank water changes are important, I do 10-15% a week. I rigged my hob with a cut up piece of filter sock and I take it out and rinse it with the hose, easy! I also use well water, no RO, so yes salt water nano tanks can be easy. I do still have to dose NeoNitrate and NeoPhos and some ChaetoGro but thats all....easy :)

I also have a 10 gal, hob and heater only

A very important thing, I did start my tanks with real live rock.

After a little thought....I want to amend a word I used in my previous post, 'easy'. I've had fresh water aquariums for 60 years, I still have two, they are relatively simple and fairly easy. Yes, you can have a minimalist saltwater aquarium and it will work, it will be a lot less expensive and a lot easier than a high tech stoney coral reef tank would be. Yes, you certainly can use your Marineland hob filter but keeping living marine things in glass tanks maybe shouldn't be said to be 'easy'.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back