Got a hitchhiker or unknown critter?? Check here for an ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

daclein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure? I could have sworn (even tho it is hard to see in the picture) the little hammers I have never seen an amphipod that big and it was curled up when I tried to take a pic of it I just want to test assured there is nothing in my tank I have a slow moving fully trained mandarin goby that I would be devastated if it got killed by a mantis

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never saw one of these in my tank before. Just discovered it tonight. I've been watching the zoas for weeks since I first found zoa nudis and killed them off. Well toay I noticed a whammin watermelon colony I have looking irritated and decided to watch it tonight. What I found looks like hair (& I thought it might be cuz mine is everywhere lol) then I saw it rolling over the zoas yet its end seemed rooted/stationary.
This is the best shot I could get of it.
And please tell me it isn't another bad critter? I so, how to get rid of it?

uploadfromtaptalk1399525172877.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399525189318.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399525207604.jpg

At first I was thinking Ctenophore, but I'm thinking Syllid Worm.

LionfishLair.com - Hitchhiker Guide to your Aquarium

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's either that or a spaghetti worm. One good or one is bad. I'm going to watch it further. If it isn't a spaghetti worm I'll try a bayer dip.

Thanks Mike :)

Jackie

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure? I could have sworn (even tho it is hard to see in the picture) the little hammers I have never seen an amphipod that big and it was curled up when I tried to take a pic of it I just want to test assured there is nothing in my tank I have a slow moving fully trained mandarin goby that I would be devastated if it got killed by a mantis

You can get more opinions before you add it back to your tank. Pics can be deceiving on the internet but I feed comfortable saying you don't have a mantis there. A mantis will have very large eyes also.

Crinomau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THe last picture looks more lie a Phillodocid polychaete, not a nudibranch, they sometimes are comensal with echinoderms, but I am not sure if they can harm corals. :eek:)

Crinomau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nudibranch, came in on some zoas
nudi6-14_zpsf694fe6b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

For me this one looks more like a Philodocid polichaete, they are usually comensal with echinoderms, but I am not sure if they harm corals. :)

Slotz00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ID this crap and it's reef compatibility please

This guy came as a tiny little hitchhiker and I put him in a breeder tank inside my tank and began to feed but never posted till now. He is now just bigger (base shell) then a quarter and I really need to figure out what to do with him.

Instinct says based on what I know he is no good based on the big claws and the hairy legs.

I have a 46gal tank with no sump. I have a hang on the back refuge that has cheato and pods but a very easy escape route.

Thanks,

Scott

0523140808[1].jpg

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that I'm not going to take the time to identify exactly what species your crab is, but, here's a link for you to try.

It is not a reef safe crab, indicated by the sharp tipped claws.

Crab Hitch Hikers

Slotz00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[h=2]​Looks like a Stone Crab?

Stone Crabs: many genera and species[/h]I doubt you'll see any of these for sale, but hitchhiking juveniles are found in live rock at times. These get big though, and can be outright destructive, eliminating all sorts of creatures in no time if given a chance. They're recognized by having exceptionally large, heavy claws that can easily crush the shells of clams and snails. And they do. They also have a bad habit of knocking over and intentionally rearranging rocks over and over, digging burrows all over the place, and being an all around real nuisance. None of them are suitable for reef aquariums.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's a Zanthid species. Not compatible with anything except very large and aggressive tank mates; which are capable of eating it.

Slotz00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all good. Thanks for the help. I'm just glad I found him before he went in the main tank. I just have to off load him now. I know someone with a large aggressive tank as you describe so maybe he will take him for some food. I can't flush him. lol

g_martel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never saw one of these in my tank before. Just discovered it tonight. I've been watching the zoas for weeks since I first found zoa nudis and killed them off. Well toay I noticed a whammin watermelon colony I have looking irritated and decided to watch it tonight. What I found looks like hair (& I thought it might be cuz mine is everywhere lol) then I saw it rolling over the zoas yet its end seemed rooted/stationary.

Looks like digitate hydroids. Take them out ASAP before they reproduce. Try poking it's base with hot water or vinegar with a sharp syringe.

g_martel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I found those little ones on my live rock... Seems like nudibranch/slugs.

Anyone know which type they are and what they eat? Reef safe?

Thanks

uploadfromtaptalk1404442052423.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1404442060537.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1404442121130.jpg

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berthellina citrina. Wow, never seen that many in one tank. But, they are very prolific breeders.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Digitate Hydroid.

Grey Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this crazy looking thing burrowed inside an elegance coral...I think it is a Cryptochirid Crab (Gall Crab).
IMG_0656[1].jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 55 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 64 49.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 11 8.5%
Back