Got corals yesterday. When is it safe to feed them?

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on another site was telling me I shouldn't feed my new corals because it stresses them out.

How true is this?

I fed them 1-2 tiny pieces of brine shrimp just to see what would happen, figuring there was no harm in it.

Can I ask what the reasoning behind this is, or better yet, why would feeding a coral stress it? Doesn't this just provide nutrients to it so it can recover more quickly? I understand the corals would be catching leftover food the fish didn't consume anyways.

Or is it completely okay to do a light feeding?

Sorry for my questions, I am extremely new to saltwater. I am open to listening to any points of view.

(By the way, it is Day #2 with my new corals)

Here they are.

1698865428170.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as they are open you can feed them.
Can I ask what would be considered open to most people?
Would the corals in my photo be considered 'open' or am I looking for a more plump/extended look?

Again my apologies and thanks for any help. I feel like I have watched countless hours of coral videos and still so clueless as to basic things.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you can, i'd wait until your tank matures before doing anything significant to your corals.

Based on your build thread, your tank is 20 days young. Let you and your tank mature naturally but more specifically slowly. Take changes slow as effects in the reef tank usually take 1-2 months to rear their heads. Good and bad.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what would be considered open to most people?
Would the corals in my photo be considered 'open' or am I looking for a more plump/extended look?

Again my apologies and thanks for any help. I feel like I have watched countless hours of coral videos and still so clueless as to basic things.

They seem fine. The torch looks like it might open more but still.

If you don't feed them, they will take phosphate from the environment and nitrogenous waste from fish. So regardless you are "feeding" the corals by having fish in the tank.

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you can, i'd wait until your tank matures before doing anything significant to your corals.

Based on your build thread, your tank is 20 days young. Let you and your tank mature naturally but more specifically slowly. Take changes slow as effects in the reef tank usually take 1-2 months to rear their heads. Good and bad.
Yeah I understand. Thanks

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem fine. The torch looks like it might open more but still.

If you don't feed them, they will take phosphate from the environment and nitrogenous waste from fish. So regardless you are "feeding" the corals by having fish in the tank.
I figured they must be 'eating' anyways somehow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back