Got some worms for my tank, are any of these juvenile fireworms?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the lfs and picked up an engineer blenny and some inverts today, including a strawberry conch and like 4 bristleworms. Are any of these juvenile fireworms? One of them filled my hand with bristles, but it didn't hurt or feel like anything really,
1694921166673.png

1694921178351.png

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Look like good bristle worms. Fire worms are really quite fire engine red.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Even as juveniles?
To my knowledge. But what I can say is the ones in your picture look to be the same funky pink mine look from small to 3”. Actually I think my normal bristle worms are deeper in color when they are small.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge. But what I can say is the ones in your picture look to be the same funky pink mine look from small to 3”. Actually I think my normal bristle worms are deeper in color when they are small.
Great, awesome.
Also, unrelated, how long should I acclimate my engi for? He's been been in there for about an hour with an airstone and I change his water every 10 minutes. I haven't gotten a new fish in a while so I'm rusty.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
As far as acclimating a fish, it really depends on salinity number one. If it came in really low salinity take your time to bring it up as to not “burn” their gills. If shipping/LFS water is same salinity then temp balance and a few subtractions and additions of tank water will suffice. If huge salinity difference it is harder. I always adjust salinity in one of my QT’s that I always have running and then bring up to DT salinity after I finish my qt. The pros on here will say not to bring salinity up
More than .01-.02 per day. But realistically if they have to go into DT that may not be feasible.

On those occasions or if I need to move a qt’d fish out to bring in a new one and didn’t pre plan I will drop slowly for an hour or two and draw out a little water a few times to help get close.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as acclimating a fish, it really depends on salinity number one. If it came in really low salinity take your time to bring it up as to not “burn” their gills. If shipping/LFS water is same salinity then temp balance and a few subtractions and additions of tank water will suffice. If huge salinity difference it is harder. I always adjust salinity in one of my QT’s that I always have running and then bring up to DT salinity after I finish my qt. The pros on here will say not to bring salinity up
More than .01-.02 per day. But realistically if they have to go into DT that may not be feasible.

On those occasions or if I need to move a qt’d fish out to bring in a new one and didn’t pre plan I will drop slowly for an hour or two and draw out a little water a few times to help get close.
Their spec G is only .002 off, 1.024 instead of 1.026(mine). In any case he's in and looks fairly happy, my dascyllus isn't bothering him much yet.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back