Grounding probe or No grounding probe

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys….. I’m sorry, I have read through this thread and think I have confused myself more than I originally was.

in Laymans term, should I run a grounding probe? The cheap titanium ones with a three prong outlet that I can buy on any of the aquarium store websites?

I have a fairly large set up, with lots of different devices just want the safest route for my livestock

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys….. I’m sorry, I have read through this thread and think I have confused myself more than I originally was.

in Laymans term, should I run a grounding probe? The cheap titanium ones with a three prong outlet that I can buy on any of the aquarium store websites?

I have a fairly large set up, with lots of different devices just want the safest route for my livestock
I would do it. It's such a cheap way to add an extra layer of protection. There's no negative aspect of having one that I know of. I use ground probes and GFCI outlets on both of my tanks. I'd rather take the extra step even if it seems redundant than have a devastating accident down the road. Zero negative consequences of having one versus even the slight chance of catastrophe without seems like a no brainer to me.

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it. It's such a cheap way to add an extra layer of protection. There's no negative aspect of having one that I know of. I use ground probes and GFCI outlets on both of my tanks. I'd rather take the extra step even if it seems redundant than have a devastating accident down the road. Zero negative consequences of having one versus even the slight chance of catastrophe without seems like a no brainer to me.
But tripping the GFCI circuit is only relevant if all of the tank is on the same Circuit breaker?

also, if running a probe do I not ever need to
Sorry about stray voltage?

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But tripping the GFCI circuit is only relevant if all of the tank is on the same Circuit breaker?

also, if running a probe do I not ever need to
Sorry about stray voltage?
I'm not an electrician so my understanding of it is very basic. My tank has everything running from the same outlet so if anything triggers the gfci the entire system is shut down. My understanding of the grounding probe is that it would make it so you do not have to worry about stray voltage.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back