Guidance on switching to RODI from tap water

allietheginger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I have a 40 gallon tank that has live rock and live sand as well as an artificial plant (until I get into all the reefing stuff once I’m more established in a year or more). I cycled my tank using the fritz turbo start 900 and ammonia method. After it was successfully cycled, I added 2 clownfish (on 12/16) and later a yellow watchman goby and red pistol shrimp (on 12/29). My water parameters have been great as far as nitrites, ammonia, and nitrates and have been doing water changes weekly if not more often.

So! Here is where I’m asking for a little bit of guidance. The area that I messed up in is that I did not buy an RODI system right off the bat and decided to use tap water (using the declorinating stuff you do for freshwater) and mixing the salt myself. I already know I messed up in this so please no shaming! I do that enough to myself…… that being said, my RODI 5 step system is coming in this week. The guidance I am looking for is for how gradual I do the water changes with the new RODI water once it’s ready after mixing the salt for a few days. Like should I be doing 50% water changes? Or is that too much at once? Obviously I know the tap water they are in isn’t good for them so I want to correct this asap but I also don’t want to change their parameters drastically and make anyone sick or worse.

I can provide updated levels on my tank if needed once I get home if that helps but this is what it was a few days ago

Ammonia 0-.25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5-10
PH 8.0
Salinity 1.024

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated! I’m trying to do best by my new fish and I have done so much research so I’m trying to do better!

Thank you ❤️

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I have a 40 gallon tank that has live rock and live sand as well as an artificial plant (until I get into all the reefing stuff once I’m more established in a year or more). I cycled my tank using the fritz turbo start 900 and ammonia method. After it was successfully cycled, I added 2 clownfish (on 12/16) and later a yellow watchman goby and red pistol shrimp (on 12/29). My water parameters have been great as far as nitrites, ammonia, and nitrates and have been doing water changes weekly if not more often.

So! Here is where I’m asking for a little bit of guidance. The area that I messed up in is that I did not buy an RODI system right off the bat and decided to use tap water (using the declorinating stuff you do for freshwater) and mixing the salt myself. I already know I messed up in this so please no shaming! I do that enough to myself…… that being said, my RODI 5 step system is coming in this week. The guidance I am looking for is for how gradual I do the water changes with the new RODI water once it’s ready after mixing the salt for a few days. Like should I be doing 50% water changes? Or is that too much at once? Obviously I know the tap water they are in isn’t good for them so I want to correct this asap but I also don’t want to change their parameters drastically and make anyone sick or worse.

I can provide updated levels on my tank if needed once I get home if that helps but this is what it was a few days ago

Ammonia 0-.25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5-10
PH 8.0
Salinity 1.024

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated! I’m trying to do best by my new fish and I have done so much research so I’m trying to do better!

Thank you ❤️
Maybe don’t worry about it too much. Just start using RO water to make saltwater and go with regularly scheduled water changes. Forget about fixing or undoing anthing.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Dan_P , just start using RO/DI in your normal water changes. Don't over think this....keep it simple.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back