Had somebody kept segmented blennies(salarias segmentatus)

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that fish online, and it sometimes appears at LFS'. From what i know it's just more colorful relative of a lawnmower (salarias fasciatus), that is smaller. If so, it must appear in the tanks more often, but i see only a few threads(two of which are mine) on english, german and polish forums, and often only the name of the fish mentioned and nothing about it's behaviour/ease of care.
Why isn't it popular? Is it hard to start feeding? I would be glad to hear something about this fish from people that had kept it long term. It is on my wishlist, in case something happens with my beloved tailspot(i bought it a big adult and worried that i will need a replacement in 1-2 years)

2f2eca99f6075a645c85f4f0351cf6d2.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept one myself, but I'd imagine that part of the reason they're not popular is as stated below:

"FYI: May nip coral polyps and clam mantles and eat small snails and ornamental shrimp.

Aggressive towards other herbivores in the aquarium and smaller fishes.

Unless there is a sufficient amount of greens this fish will slowly waste away."*

&

"The Segmented Blenny is a perfect candidate for the reef aquarium and is considered reef safe but may nip at the polyps or bases of Acropora sp. and other SPS corals. If the SPS dominated aquarium is not heavily stocked with mature colonies these fish may damage Acropora sp. and Montipora sp. in these displays.

The Segmented Sailfin Blenny does best in well-established aquariums with large amounts of natural algae to feed on. "**

Despite it's apparent tendency to nip on corals and other things, though, it's a neat little fish.

*Source:
**Source:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back