half dead torch head

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please note before anything is said, lights are off this is just when i put on the feed mode to get a better video.

i’ve had the purple torch for a while and i scooped it for like $60 with 2 splitting into 3 heads but what i noticed was one of the heads, half of it is dead. whenever its opened you cant even tell if part of its dead i was just kind of concerned cause i thought i started seeing new growth over the head but now i feel like it might receding. i’m aware of the pest that like to eat euphyllia and also the diseases im just not sure what those symptoms would be like i do have coral revive but like i said when lights turn on its not disturbed in anyway so could be fine right?

Attachments

• E3C94E2D-BE50-4F65-8FC7-661D47D0F28C.mp4
    4.6 MB

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see the video.
Once a head dies it doesn’t regrow over the old skeleton ime, the growth continues upwards and then “splits” like you described, but with the dead skeleton left behind when a head recedes/dies.

New “receding” or pulling back of the flesh, or the flesh turning to grey/mucus/mush is “Brown Jelly Disease” (bacterial) and receding and head loss is the result of pests feeding on the coral. (Edit-is should be “can be” the cause for receding)

BJD can also occur as a consequence of pests feeding, or following physical injury like bumping into a coral while cleaning or during shipping.

The dead head-skeleton is ugly but generally not a problem for the living tissue. Brown Jelly on one head is a threat to all the other LPS in the tank/ system. When I see BJD I don’t hesitate to treat the tank with Cipro but this practice is not approved by many people who are rightly concerned about overuse of antibiotics by amateur doctors and the risk that the use will increase problems way beyond the loss of a tank filled with lps, so read up about the risks and be careful with your practices.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna completely disagree with the above post.

It sounds like maybe one of the heads is damaged somehow and when open it looks like it fills the entire skeleton but when closed you can see some of the skeleton.
This happens in a lot of corals. Euphyllia, acans, etc.

The coral if given proper environment can heal from that and cover the rest of the head it’s occupying, but whatever caused the issue has to be taken care of first.

Not all receding is BJD as said above and this does not sound like that at all to me.

I’d also suggest NEVER doing an in-tank AB treatment, if you absolutely HAVE TO, it should be done as a dip in a separate container.

Dosing your entire tank with AB will totally screw up your biome of the tank and cause who knows what kind of chain reactions.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna completely disagree with the above post.

It sounds like maybe one of the heads is damaged somehow and when open it looks like it fills the entire skeleton but when closed you can see some of the skeleton.
This happens in a lot of corals. Euphyllia, acans, etc.

The coral if given proper environment can heal from that and cover the rest of the head it’s occupying, but whatever caused the issue has to be taken care of first.

Not all receding is BJD as said above and this does not sound like that at all to me.

I’d also suggest NEVER doing an in-tank AB treatment, if you absolutely HAVE TO, it should be done as a dip in a separate container.

Dosing your entire tank with AB will totally screw up your biome of the tank and cause who knows what kind of chain reactions.
I think I agree with you if “AB?” Is a treatment for coral pests, ie “A dip?”

Certainly a dip to address pests on the coral should be done in a separate container and not the DT.

My point for treatment of the DT was aimed at BJD only.

And without seeing the situation I included both (maybe in an unclear way-sorry) and suggest that the op go look now at other threads that have pictures that can help them decide what they are seeing and trying to address.

Sorry for my unclear response and apologies if this one is not better.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I agree with you if “AB?” Is a treatment for coral pests, ie “A dip?”

Certainly a dip to address pests on the coral should be done in a separate container and not the DT.

My point for treatment of the DT was aimed at BJD only.

And without seeing the situation I included both (maybe in an unclear way-sorry) and suggest that the op go look now at other threads that have pictures that can help them decide what they are seeing and trying to address.

Sorry for my unclear response and apologies if this one is not better.
AB means Antibiotics

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB means Antibiotics
Thanks for the clarification. I was too tired to guess and that didn't even occur to my feeble mind. :cool:
Brain Tyler GIF by Big Brother
Friday gif for partial redemption.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have yet to have a euphyllia regrow once skeleton is seen, unless the tissue is so receeded back, but still present.

Normally when i see the skeleton that pronounced, i will cut the dead head off or try incase of BJD, which can jump to the next head and then the next ultimately wiping out the entire colony.

But i agree with you in being against nuking your tank with Antibiotics unless you absolutely need it.

There are so many things that can go wrong unless your a very experienced reefer, which Kris probably is to do a Hail Mary like that.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to have a euphyllia regrow once skeleton is seen, unless the tissue is so receeded back, but still present.

Normally when i see the skeleton that pronounced, i will cut the dead head off or try incase of BJD, which can jump to the next head and then the next ultimately wiping out the entire colony.

But i agree with you in being against nuking your tank with Antibiotics unless you absolutely need it.

There are so many things that can go wrong unless your a very experienced reefer, which Kris probably is to do a Hail Mary like that.
I still havnt seen a video…. They won’t upload one to YouTube and it’s not visable to me. Hence why I was guessing basednoff their description

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back