Hammer Shedding

robd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over night my hammer is shedding and is now basically to the Skelton. Other then the phosphate alittle high the water is good. The rest of the tank is doing great.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over night my hammer is shedding and is now basically to the Skelton. Other then the phosphate alittle high the water is good. The rest of the tank is doing great.
Photos? That sounds like polyp bailout, and if so either your parameters or conditions are bad. Things like a parameter swing, too high flow/light, parameter imbalance ect can cause it. Recovering from polyp bailout isn't impossible but is extremely challenging. If there are still bits of flesh on the skeleton than it wasn't polyp bailout and could be either BJD, necrosis ect. Photos are needed to confirm. What are the exact parameters? What PAR is it sitting at?

OP
OP
R

robd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos? That sounds like polyp bailout, and if so either your parameters or conditions are bad. Things like a parameter swing, too high flow/light, parameter imbalance ect can cause it. Recovering from polyp bailout isn't impossible but is extremely challenging. If there are still bits of flesh on the skeleton than it wasn't polyp bailout and could be either BJD, necrosis ect. Photos are needed to confirm. What are the exact parameters? What PAR is it sitting at?

Attachments

• IMG_5612.jpeg
    IMG_5612.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5608.jpeg
    IMG_5608.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
R

robd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rest of the tank is perfect. This hammer was great unit over night

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all mag is low, second API is very inaccurate with nitrates, nitries and ammonia. .48 po4 is very high, was that a sudden spike? Its not polyp bailout that's for sure. Any major parameter shifts recently? Did you just add it? I can't say for sure if it's BJD, have you done the "smell test"? If it's BJD it will have a rotten/death smell and if it isn't it will just smell like any other rock/water from the aquarium

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is tissue recession and often due to stress - Not bailout. What are stressors?
Hammers are intolerant to major swings in water quality, and sensitive to almost any level of copper in the water especially if any tap water was added. Calcium and alk are important parameters that will affect their growth and this coral will start to die off if calcium levels are too low which should be about 400 ppm.
Basically, avoid bright light and water flow and dark lighting. Bright lights cause bleaching and low lighting will cause them to shrink and starve. Maintain moderate light for their photosynthesis and keep it off the sand bed which sand can irritate it.
I suspect your Po4 if accurate is causing issues

OP
OP
R

robd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been in the tank for over a month and the one behind it is perfect. What do you think i should do?

OP
OP
R

robd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all mag is low, second API is very inaccurate with nitrates, nitries and ammonia. .48 po4 is very high, was that a sudden spike? Its not polyp bailout that's for sure. Any major parameter shifts recently? Did you just add it? I can't say for sure if it's BJD, have you done the "smell test"? If it's BJD it will have a rotten/death smell and if it isn't it will just smell like any other rock/water from the aquarium
Yes i agree about the API kits. I am waiting for the hanna to come in. They are on the way.
I did not take it out of the tank so im not sure about the smell. This just happened this morning and never sean it before

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back