Hanna Test Kits for New Tank

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of cycling and setting up 2 new saltwater tanks and I have been looking at Hanna test kits to use. I am thinking about taking the plunge soon and picking up a few. What would be the best kits to pick up for a newly cycled tank? I was thinking Nitrate, Alkalinity, and Phosphate. I am also trying to figure out which Phosphate test would be appropriate at this time. I read maybe the low range for a new tank. And if i need the nitrate, which one? Can anyone offer me any guidance, please?

Edit: I'm starting out with dry rock and fish. Hoping to possibly add easy corals (softies and sps?) 6 months or so down the line. Whenever the tank parameters are stable. I am thinking about getting Calcium and Magnesium then. I have read that the Red Sea tests are better than Hanna for that.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish, i don't think you need any meters, just do water changes.

For sps corals, get the super low reading meter for Phosphate and ppm for alkalinity, they provide better resolution at the low end where things are critical. If you max them out is is fairly straight forward to dilute a sample of your water and calculate a reading.

I use alk and Phos ULR all the time. I have calc and pH, I don't like the latter.

They are all good, but Calcium is easy to measure with cheaper kits and get good enough results for "stability" purposes, especially once you get the parameter consumption matched with your replacement routine. If my Alk is good I know my Calc is good, and I can test it every 6 months and not be surprised, assuming everything else is ok, so I was given calcium and I use it, just not that often.

Rinse and store the vials filled with RODI water for longer life.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of cycling and setting up 2 new saltwater tanks and I have been looking at Hanna test kits to use. I am thinking about taking the plunge soon and picking up a few. What would be the best kits to pick up for a newly cycled tank? I was thinking Nitrate, Alkalinity, and Phosphate. I am also trying to figure out which Phosphate test would be appropriate at this time. I read maybe the low range for a new tank. And if i need the nitrate, which one? Can anyone offer me any guidance, please?
When I reboot I'll be using Hanna PO4, N03 and ALK. For Ca, the Red Sea Calcium Pro. For Mg, the Acueforest Mg Test Pro. Haven't decided on pH.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By any chance, does anyone know of any Memorial Day sales going on this coming weekend on a website that sells Hanna tests? Hoping to hit up a sale if I can.
I accidentally bought a dKH meter instead of Alk PPM when I bought a new Alk meter earlier this year. I did put a battery in it and made a dozen or less measurements using the same cuvettes to compare the two meters, but the cuvettes and reagent are unused- new, expiration date 12/24.

$45 shipped to you. I don’t need two and prefer the meter that reads in ppm.

Otherwise, I am not aware of any sales coming up.
image.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a lot of the Hanna testers including continuous salinty/pH for my saltwater mixing station (RedSea for magnesium). Hanna is offering a 15% off this weekend that is available from many/most of the retailers where Hanna is sold. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Back