Hardy's 90 Gallon Family Reef

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many years out of the hobby, I have finally decided to jump back into the reefkeeping world. My main inspiration was our newborn daughter and nephew who (hopefully) experience some of the the joy this hobby has brought me over the years.

I am starting this build off slow to try and take in all of the new tech/methods that are out there as I go along, so bear with me!

I picked up this standard dimension Seaphora 90 Gallon tank and stand from Nemo Aquarium in Atlanta and have been grabbing equipment here and there as I can.

I plan for this to be an SPS dominant tank, but there is no way I will be able to hold myself back from my beloved Zoas, torches, and oother LPS.. So, it may be a mixed reef after all!

Tank: Seaphora 90 Gallon Reef Ready
Sump: 36" Banshea 4 Chamber
-Chamber 1 = Clarisea SK3000
-Chamber 2 = Reef Octopus Classic 150s
-Chamber 3 = Media
-Chamber 4 = Vectra S1 Return Pump
Stand: Seaphora Standard Pine Aquarium Stand (black)
Lights: 2 x Ecotech Radion XR30s with RMS Mounts
Wavemaker: 2 x Maxspect Gyres XF Series
Return Pump: Ecotech Vectra M1
Skimmer: Reef Octopus 152-S
Heating: 2 x 300w heaters w/ InkBird Controller
ATO: TBD
Controller: TBD
Rock: 90 lbs of Marco Rock
Substrate: 80 lbs of Carib Sea Special Grade Sand

New Tank.jpg Stand.jpg Painted Back.jpg Banshea Sump.jpg Rocks Galore.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment is all on its way, so I have began working on the scape with hopes to get this finished up by the weekend. If the sand arrives on time I should be ready to get ‘er wet next weekend!!

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 28

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will make a nice setup. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment is all on its way, so I have began working on the scape with hopes to get this finished up by the weekend. If the sand arrives on time I should be ready to get ‘er wet next weekend!!
Glad to see the equipment is on the way!!

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the positive comments! You all are very supportive and getting me fired up for the build! So… the paint job on the inside of the stand is beyond poor and looks terrible. I have always loved the look of a semi-gloss white stand interior, so I think I am going to take care of that today. I mean just look at this crap!

IMG_0070.jpeg IMG_0071.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the public.. 3 Options to get the sump in. All 3 ways require temporarily removing one of the brace pieces. What would you guys recommend, or does it really even matter if I am putting it back in the same place (probably even a bit beefier).
1. Front Brace (3/4 plywood attached with finish nails or staples)
2. Back Brace (1x4 also held in with nails/staples)
3. Remove the 1x4's at the top of the tank and slide it in through the top. (most work to tank tank off and get assistance to do so, but will if necessary)

Last edited:
OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to pull the trigger and start painting the interior of the stand while I had the day off. She is all primed up and ready for paint!
IMG_0012.jpeg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the public.. 3 Options to get the sump in. All 3 ways require temporarily removing one of the brace pieces. What would you guys recommend, or does it really even matter if I am putting it back in the same place (probably even a bit beefier).
1. Front Brace (3/4 plywood attached with finish nails or staples)
2. Back Brace (1x4 also held in with nails/staples)
3. Remove the 1x4's at the top of the tank and slide it in through the top. (most work to tank tank off and get assistance to do so, but will if necessary)
Definitely #3. Been there done that! I wouldn’t mess with vertical supports.

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wound up taking the 2 1x2s off the top and putting the sump in from the top. Also the protein skimmer came in (Reef Octopus 152s). Waiting on some bits and pieces, but ground is being gained!
IMG_0015.jpeg

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Following along closely as i too just got a 90 gallon and will be getting it wet in the coming weeks!

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Following along closely as i too just got a 90 gallon and will be getting it wet in the coming weeks!
Glad to hear you are setting one up as well! I ran into a road block and stopped posting for a while. Got a case of ich with my first batch of fish, and wound up fallowing my Display Tank while I QT’d all of my inhabitants. They are now all back in as of a week or two ago and everything is looking great. I learned my lesson and will be QTing going forward! Hope you are doing well with your setup.

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe man thats tough. Glad everything is doing well now though. I had a similar situation in my nano tank that has led me to QTing all fish that enter my tanks. Just a frustrating set back for sure. My set up is coming along, I am just waiting on sand and rocks to be delivered so I can begin working on the aquascape. Hopefully will get it wet around new years. How deep of a sand bed did 80lbs give you?

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe man thats tough. Glad everything is doing well now though. I had a similar situation in my nano tank that has led me to QTing all fish that enter my tanks. Just a frustrating set back for sure. My set up is coming along, I am just waiting on sand and rocks to be delivered so I can begin working on the aquascape. Hopefully will get it wet around new years. How deep of a sand bed did 80lbs give you?
It is definitely a good practice to start. Glad you are already there though. I don’t have any bare spots, and is decently covering but it honestly looks like what you can see in the picture above. If I could go back in time I would do 1 more bag. It would level things out perfectly I think.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back