Hart's 120 3/4" starfire expansion!

julian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice build its nice to see another iowan here what softies are you going to get rid of

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave away the ORA loco lobo, the green toadstool, green cabbage coral, teal pineapple tree and neon green singulara. All from diver's den liveaquaria. I could have sold them, but it's a coworker and they will love them!

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is crated up and awaiting pickup in Canada, pretty exciting! It should get here right around my birthday.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't really sure how much this colony has been growing, so I dug up my oldest shot to see. 5 months apart. Sorry the older pic was at night lit with a flashlight to see PE. But there is growth I can see.

image.jpg

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun I ordered a ozone controller from BRS, the Enaly 100. I know ozone has fallen out of favor the past few years, but I have never used it and with the skimmer having such a nice built in port for it, I figured why not try it 10 years after it was popular, lol. I have not seen too much dealing with ozone and carbon dosing, so I am curious if I notice any effects. Aside increased water clarity.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh vertex. Or I should say the pump...

Yesterday I noticed the skimmer making a strange noise and not working. I was thinking maybe somehow it was dirty and something clogged the intake. So I took it out and the ozone attachment broke off at the wedge pipe attachment. I have no way now to plug the ozone tube, or to use the built in support for my new ozone generator, but the much much larger issue is that the skimmer pump is broken. I cleaned it and tested it several times in a 5g bucket - pump only and it doesn't spin, just vibrates and make the same noise as in the sump when I found it today. I am very worried since this was a $500 skimmer and now I have nothing and I am dreading how long this will take to be resolved.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response from BRS was to contact proline aquatics. Fun. So I emailed them, called the extension BRS gave me and tried their general support/warranty number with no response so far.

And the gyre now only runs a few min and then starts flashing red on the controller. So much for nice new equipment.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update broken gyre and vertex

Ok...

So after contacting Jen at proline for vertex she asked a few questions and it looks like the impeller is broken. They are sending a new one out. Looks like the impeller attachment to the shaft/motor wasn't very good. Explains the vibration so I am happy that is resolved. Hopefully it will come quick. They are sending more tubing for the ozone, it is bonded so I will have to drill it out, but that is minor.

Service for the gyre was really fast. They had me send pic of the paddles to make sure everything was installed correctly and just a few hours later I got an email that they were sending a new motor out.

Bummed that $800 of new equipment failed, but pleased with the service if they ship things out in a good timeframe.

ORP and ozone question:

I have read Randy's articles and done quite a bit of research, but I have noticed that if I run more than 5mg/hr through my old skimmer it really jumps my ORP past 350 (the controller shuts it off) and if I have it higher than 5 I can smell it. ORP without is around 250. Can such a low dose have such a drastic impact on the water? I also wonder if the digital readout on the generator reads lower than what the machine is really producing. But 5 seems to be the magic number. Water looks great, and my bigger concern was the chemical warefare with my large gorgs when they get upset so hopefully it will help with that.

EDIT: I do have carbon on top of the skimmer lid and the discharge goes into carbon, BRS rox.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't really sure how much this colony has been growing, so I dug up my oldest shot to see. 5 months apart. Sorry the older pic was at night lit with a flashlight to see PE. But there is growth I can see.

image.jpg

Of course after I post this I just noticed last night dreaded RTN!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Lost lots of tissue underneath, looks to have slowed down but I am just going to leave it and not frag. I have plenty of this guy and the base has a ton of cool little feather dusters in it, so if it all dies I will chop the top off and leave all the little dusters alone.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was picked up by the freight company on the 15th and I had it loaded into a pickup with a forklift yesterday the 18th. That is pretty fast shipping for customs clearance too! Got the tank settled in on the stand, got the plumbing finished (I HOPE!!!) and filling with water now. The tank is amazing, they really make a solid aquarium. The shipping weight was 575lb, and I know there wasn't all that much crating, it's heavy, really heavy. 6 of us moved it only 50ft or so and we still had to stop and regroup. Who knew a 120 could be so heavy? Not me! But that is a good thing.

The bottom has a small eurobrace and outside trim which I like, I want this tank to last a long time. The external overflow on the tempered back wall also has bottom trim which is a nice detail. It also has glass reinforcement, a .5" strip around the sides and bottom of the overflow box too. I have never personally seen such a overbuilt tank in person. Provided it doesn't leak I am super happy with it. I can't seem to get good pics to save my life, but I will try and get a few.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving the tank, but I want an update on the vette!

Haha, no update on that, it's sitting on blocks and the ethanol is drained for the winter! Some of those drag radials will crack in the cold. A few types say to take them inside, these just said to not move when it's below freezing, but I put it up on stands just to be sure.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, no update on that, it's sitting on blocks and the ethanol is drained for the winter! Some of those drag radials will crack in the cold. A few types say to take them inside, these just said to not move when it's below freezing, but I put it up on stands just to be sure.
;_; I cri evertim

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so got everything transferred, I didn't finish up, but wow, just getting the livestock and equipment running was enough! I really like the scape, I took a quick dirty pic, you can't see the rock depth or positioning here, but I will work on getting that pic later. Still so much cleaning and cord management to do. I was able to move around most of the coral to give them more space, and those that are encrusted will just stay there!!

IMG_1872.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back