0   0   0
thats the same setup I'm using. How come his hatch?!?! lol

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the decaptulation was done correctly, they can be hatched. Decapsulated bbs eggs offer a few benefits- you get a higher hatch rate, the ones that hatch are slightly more nutritious, even the unhatched eggs can be used and you don't have to get rid of all of the hatched egg shells! You can decapsulate them yourself, but the method looks to be a pain and may not be worth it.

CJ

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to feed corals and not fish, why bother hatching them and instead just use the decapsulated eggs directly?

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the decaptulation was done correctly, they can be hatched. Decapsulated bbs eggs offer a few benefits- you get a higher hatch rate, the ones that hatch are slightly more nutritious, even the unhatched eggs can be used and you don't have to get rid of all of the hatched egg shells! You can decapsulate them yourself, but the method looks to be a pain and may not be worth it.

CJ
The decapsulated eggs on their site say that they don't hatch at all. From the site:
Again, these are non-hatching. The oxidation process is exothermic and generates heat in excess of the lethal temperature of the embryo. The further dehydration of the egg to maintain its shelf life renders the egg non-viable.

If your goal is to feed corals and not fish, why bother hatching them and instead just use the decapsulated eggs directly?

I also plan on feeding my fish with them, but I just wanted to see the corals feeding reaction to live food

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The decapsulated eggs on their site say that they don't hatch at all. From the site:
Again, these are non-hatching. The oxidation process is exothermic and generates heat in excess of the lethal temperature of the embryo. The further dehydration of the egg to maintain its shelf life renders the egg non-viable.

Again, I said if the decapsulating was done correctly. The place you referred to isn't the only source of decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.

I'm not sure whether eggs would trigger the feeding response for SPS?

CJ

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been hatching them every day now for decades. I invented this hatchery that seperates the eggs. The eggs go in the right side for a day, then it is covered with a black cover and the shrimp swim through a hole into the lighted side and the eggs stay on the right side.
But you can hatch them in anything. They ear attracted to light so put a small light at one end of the container and they will all go there.
Use old tank water to hatch them at room temperature, forget the heater. They hatch in about 2 days.
Your eggs may be old. They last for many years if stored correctly but I have gotten bad containers of eggs where none of them will hatch.
Hatchery002.jpg

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been hatching them every day now for decades. I invented this hatchery that seperates the eggs. The eggs go in the right side for a day, then it is covered with a black cover and the shrimp swim through a hole into the lighted side and the eggs stay on the right side.
But you can hatch them in anything. They ear attracted to light so put a small light at one end of the container and they will all go there.
Use old tank water to hatch them at room temperature, forget the heater. They hatch in about 2 days.
Your eggs may be old. They last for many years if stored correctly but I have gotten bad containers of eggs where none of them will hatch.
Hatchery002.jpg

Thats pretty slick man. Do you feed your fish primarily Brine? I always heard they were like junk food for fish.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hatchery002.jpg
I've got the eggs in tank water with no heater right now. I partially submerged the bottle in my fugeso that it can use the ambient heat to speed up the hatch. Hopefully in a couple days I'll have some ready to go, but if the eggs are bad, I have some on the way from Brineshrimp Direct. That's a pretty ingenius little setup you've got there. I might have to check my stock of acrylic scrap to see if I make one of these for myself.

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shop Now: Hatchery Dish
This hatching dish is the best ever! It comes with eggs, and separates the hatched shrimp from the eggs in the same manner as Paul B device (which is awesome as well). I use to live down the road from brineshrimp direct and one day while visiting them they showed be this device, and I switched to use it, and have never gone back. Seriously hassle free, put water in, put eggs on the outside (where the hatched eggs will stay), and shrimp swim towards the middle and into a seive. Pull the seive out with the hatched shrimp about a day later and place them into the tank. No air, no heater, just the dish, Its Great!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed baby brine every day because I have some small bluestriped pipefish and tiny gobies. Aslo dozens of gorgonians. Adunt brine are not so good but baby brine are great because of ther yoke sack

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed baby brine every day because I have some small bluestriped pipefish and tiny gobies. Aslo dozens of gorgonians. Adunt brine are not so good but baby brine are great because of ther yoke sack

Paul- Do you enrich the baby brine at all? Also, do you know if dragonface pipefish will eat brine?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe in enriching brine. As new borns they are already enriched with better stuff than you could buy and the babies do not eat anyway. Even if they did how much do you think they could hold in their stomach? The yoke sack takes up much of the animals weight and is the best thing to feed tiny fish. Any small fish will eat them but some fish like small pipefish need them because most tanks don't offer much for these fish. I could not keep bluestripes without them.
I don't know about dragonface pipefish but I would imagine they will eat them. Only large pipefish don't eat them. I am not sure they can see them

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe in enriching brine. As new borns they are already enriched with better stuff than you could buy and the babies do not eat anyway. Even if they did how much do you think they could hold in their stomach? The yoke sack takes up much of the animals weight and is the best thing to feed tiny fish. Any small fish will eat them but some fish like small pipefish need them because most tanks don't offer much for these fish. I could not keep bluestripes without them.
I don't know about dragonface pipefish but I would imagine they will eat them. Only large pipefish don't eat them. I am not sure they can see them
Good point about enriching the brine and thanks for the info on the pipes. My dragonfaces are constantly on the hunt for pods, but show no interest in anything else, despite some people having luck getting them to eat prepared foods.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the eggs have been going since 9:30 yesterday morning and still nothing. I'm becoming more and more confident that the eggs were just too old, so hopefully I get my eggs from BSD in soon!

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got eggs from a lfs store thy were dated almost 2 years back and they still hatched... I just started it 2 days ago.... did u try a tablespoon of salt and a pinch of baking soda... they call this a hatching solution.

Sent from my EVO.

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is some great info, especially for the pipefish as i really want to keep a couple. that is a very nice device your create Paul B. might try this out in the near future.
greg

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shop Now: Hatchery Dish
This hatching dish is the best ever! It comes with eggs, and separates the hatched shrimp from the eggs in the same manner as Paul B device (which is awesome as well). I use to live down the road from brineshrimp direct and one day while visiting them they showed be this device, and I switched to use it, and have never gone back. Seriously hassle free, put water in, put eggs on the outside (where the hatched eggs will stay), and shrimp swim towards the middle and into a seive. Pull the seive out with the hatched shrimp about a day later and place them into the tank. No air, no heater, just the dish, Its Great!

Thanks. I just ordered one to try out.

CJ

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 hours and the eggs still haven't hatched. Pretty convinced that the eggs I had were no good. Makes me feel a little better that it's not just me, but I feel like a chump for buying them in the first place. :squigglemouth:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back