Have opportunity to pick up a used ~20gal JBJ Nano-Cube is it worth trying as first new tank?

prion27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm coming back to the hobby after almost 20 years and found someone who has a JBJ 20 gal AIO tank for $40. I'm wondering if anyone would avoid it or suggest it. I'm trying this before I start a used 128 gal I got from my local fish store that went out of business. I thought I should try to keep some fish alive before diving head first into such a large tank. Any advice?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm coming back to the hobby after almost 20 years and found someone who has a JBJ 20 gal AIO tank for $40. I'm wondering if anyone would avoid it or suggest it. I'm trying this before I start a used 128 gal I got from my local fish store that went out of business. I thought I should try to keep some fish alive before diving head first into such a large tank. Any advice?
I like mine. I decommissioned it because I ran out of space quickly but I’m a Coral fiend. $40 seems like a good deal to me on it.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get it, but I'm a (recovering) tank hoarder ;-)

It's a great price, assuming it's in good condition, and if you decide to go bigger it would make a nice quarantine tank.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good way to start. If you are getting back in, things like ATO's and dosers offer much more reasonable priced options than there were in the past.

The nano market has also exploded with quality equipment in the last few years. There are a couple of really nice skimmer options, for under 160 USD. ATO's for 80-120, controllable DC wave pumps under 100.

The old more water more stability equation loses its luster when you can automate water changes and dosing reliably for a couple hundred dollars in a 20 gallon tank.

Do it. ato, leds, DC pumps, and a doser for All for reef and your tank will kill it if you do your part

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do it, if for nothing else to test out whether my interests have changed since returning. thought i was gonna do a mixed lps / softie tank on first tank back to reefing, after a year i realized my lights were good enough to keep SPS and clams and realized that's where my interests are more in (vs where they were when i left reefing 10 years ago). Fill it up, see if it scratches the itch, and then fill up the 120 the next month :)

OP
OP
P

prion27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image 1.jpg

This is the tank. I am not sure how to gert rid of red deposits on front of glass.

Mmbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you fill it with a vinegar(or citric acid)/water mixture and let it sit a few hours it should scrub clean super easily. Even if you start the pumps and have the mixture running through he system a couple hours it will be even easier to clean.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back