OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is a little low at 6.7. fresh sw tested 9 when during a water change. I orderd the full shabang from brs 2 part. What should I bring my alk to? I see 9 as a comfortable # but also read that people have it high 7's..

Pick a number you like and stick with it. Mine stays 7-8 and works good for my tank. Many run their tanks higher. 8-10 is a good safe average range.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick a number you like and stick with it. Mine stays 7-8 and works good for my tank. Many run their tanks higher. 8-10 is a good safe average range.

I think that's great advice. My SPS always does it's best when my alkalinity is rock steady and it's worse with something upsets the apple cart and alkalinity swings one way or the other.

PS I drool every time I look at your avatar!

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone go check your alk today!

I got a dosing pump for my frag tank finally. I've been manually dosing and it was getting to be a pain.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my tanks were 135. :) I checked twice just to make sure I did it right. They are usually close but never exactly the same. I added a little baking soda to the frag tank. I'm experimenting with a little higher alk.

xtlosx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself maintain alk\calc by dosing one at the bottom of the hour, and the other half way through each hour to maintain stability. I find myself testing alk twice a week and if anything ever looks off. I tend to test more when there's more pieces added to make sure things don't drop.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself maintain alk\calc by dosing one at the bottom of the hour, and the other half way through each hour to maintain stability.

Don't those two expressions imply the same time? :D

xtlosx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't those two expressions imply the same time? :D

Sorry, posted before my first cup of coffee... lol.

Calc does at the bottom of every hour, and alk does half way through each hour... Previously I was just dosing once daily via the BRS pumps and didn't see any negatives, but I'm happier maintaining the same levels through the method I have now.

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using two-part I've been lead to believe that you should wait some period of time between the dosing of each component. What is the generally recommended time?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using two-part I've been lead to believe that you should wait some period of time between the dosing of each component. What is the generally recommended time?

As long as one is mixed in, you can add the second. What you don't want is two concentrated clouds of the chemical to interact. That can lead to precipitation of calcium carbonate.

So a half hour is almost always enough. In some tanks, just one minute may be plenty if there is lots of flow. :)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.8 across the board everyday............. using a 618 GEO with 8lbs Reborn and 1lbs Mag.
Using a CarbonDoser Electronic Co2 Regulator setup on APEX with the PH probe in the GEO.
PH between 7.96 and 8.22 on the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back