Having no luck with SPS -- What is wrong?

coralcrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive noticed that SPS dont like it too clean also. i keep my GFO on a timer. 4 hours a day.

I've had some bad experience with GFO. It removes a lot of beneficial aminos that SPS need. I like carbon dosing much better.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the smaller GFO reactor for mini max and on a timer and i replenish amino acids with Reef Plus and acropower.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two issues I see:

A young tank, and possibly too much light.

The "brown algae" appears to be diatoms; indicative of a new tank.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this brown algae though for about 2 months. My experience from prior tanks is less than 2 weeks at most...

I had my ValueLED at 60% and tuned it down to 40% and I think everything looks better, but I can't really tell.

arnel0387

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go crazy on the GFO. I've killed a few collector SPS when I changed my GFO and I eyeballed it instead of measuring it like I've always done. Bad choice!

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always put half the recommended dose and i dont replace until i see a little bit of algae.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about carbon dosing to rid of my phosphates? Or is the tank too new to consider something like this?

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard great things about Carbon dosing. Personally i feel uncomfortable with it, my minimax gfo reactor does the job just right and my acros are thriving beautifully. To have the GFO reactor on a timer 4 hours a day is just right IME, id go with zeovits system route. I think if your gonna start carbon dosing. I would start it now. Dont add that later on when your tank is established and shock your corals with a major change.

spsfrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider adding some type of lighting to add to the led (t5 etc.), and give time for a mature tank, you can have corals that soon but its a lot of work to feed them enough. If they are extending polyps your not doing so bad.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider adding some type of lighting to add to the led (t5 etc.), and give time for a mature tank, you can have corals that soon but its a lot of work to feed them enough. If they are extending polyps your not doing so bad.

What is my LED lacking?

spsfrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all types of light along with full spectrum led. And the led is nowhere near the other lighting until I added t5. An actinic bulb ranges from 420-480 something like that and also has a bit of higher spectrum. A royal blue Is 465-467 and each LEDs range is very precise. Other bulbs cover a large range. LEDs are better but are missing out. This is my opinion from what I have tried, and read. I'm not saying led can't, but I think it's harder for led to give good results

spsfrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up your light that is the same one i have. I have it over half of a 75 and on the other side is a 250w radium. I have corals throughout the tank and color on the led is ok but very different, pe is barely there during the day and growth is slower. Now corals that are in the middle getting a bit of both is the best. Corals under the mh grow faster have pe and colors are good with the halide on but once it shuts off the color is awesome from the bit of led light that makes it there.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had great results with SPS and LPS with Kessil LEDS

spsfrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work for some people but all by themselves they don't work for me and a lot of locals around me. But haven't tried kessils, radion, etc. I know a few with ai's and zero success, but I'm not saying they won't work with certain conditions just seems rare.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the reefbreeders offers LEDS that I can swap in so I could change my spectrum. Would that help?

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number one rule all in reefing is time, you'll naturally see better results with time so instead to drive yourself crazy and spending mad money let your tank mature and watch it establish. It will happen properly with time and water changes and if you choose to add coral now while they are more difficult too keep,, not trying to discourage example.sps,,,, inquiry about the basics the spacific needs of the corals Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, being at the top three. These are difficult as is to become good at maintaining and understanding exactly how YouR reef tank specifically is using these chemicals. So my suggestion is if you want success in keeping SPS concentrate on weekly water changes at least 5% , and review the way you adding supplements to your tank, let it cycle more and mature.

Last edited:

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I know the time thing is not what your looking for but at some point in time in the near future when your reef is doing better with time you'll understand why everyone with more experience says so LOL that's all .

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your nitrates are so low you ever try dropping your alk to 8 I also have zero nitrates and I notice if my alk go pass 8 I start to see problems with some of my sps. I don't think light is your problem.

spsfrag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the two above also. Changing light can help but in my opinion two t5s with those LEDs will make a world of difference. Don't spend a lot maybe borrow some. If you do give it a few months before you make a decision. Bad things happen fast good things take time. And before and after pictures are a great way to notice a change.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 102 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back