Having trouble with SPS

510reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! This is my first post here on R2R so please bear with me as I try to explain my issue. My tank a Red Sea Reefer 350 has been up and running for about 9 months. I have mostly been adding LPS over the past few months and just recently started to try out a few SPS pieces. I have had no problems with my LPS and have seen good growth over the months. I have not had any luck with a couple pieces of SPS.

A little bit of background on the equipment I am running; 1 Kessil AP700 light, 2 mp40s, bubble magnus c5 skimmer, brs dual reactor running GFO and Carbon. I run the AP700 mostly on the blue settings and at most 75% intensity. The mp40s run in nutrient transport mode in anti sync mode, the master is set at about 50% power.

On the green monti in the picture below the edges are starting to turn white and the center seems to be turning brown. I tried my best to get a ok picture. This is the second monti piece that i have had this issue with. I know my tank is still relatively young but is there anything else I should look into to help prevent the issue I am running into?

Here are the current parameters of the tank:
Nitrate 2 (red sea test kit)
Alkalinity 8-9 (red sea test kit)
Calcium 450 (Hanna tester)
PH 8.2 (red sea test kit)
Magnesium 1290 (salifert test kit)
Phosphate .10 (normally it is 0 or .02) (Hanna tester)

I do 20% water changes every 2 weeks.

Here is what I currently dose:
20 ml of B-ionic Alkalinity daily
20 ml of B-ionic Calcium daily
6ml of Red Sea NO3PO4-x every 3 days
Red Sea Reef Energy 10ml of A and 10ml of B

Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_0517.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0515.JPG.jpeg

Last edited:

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a range for ALK of 8-9, while this is a a solid "range," consistency is much more important than hitting that magic number. If your parameters aren't stable day to day, that could very likely be the culprit.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back