Hello from a student trying to reef on a buget

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Wags! Very nice tank and aqua scape. You'll find there's no shortage of advice here - and a ton of cumulative experience. Take it all in, but weigh it all out.

It's been the topic of several threads recently, that the best way to keep a reef tank on a budget is to focus on simple water and tank husbandry, this opposed to lots of fancy gadgets and automation. Being able to do water changes easily will go a long way and save a lot of money. Consider the "crawl, walk then run" approach. For example, when it comes to water chemistry, crawling might be regular water changes, walking might be dosing for certain essentials, and running might be GFO, bio-pellets and so on. When it comes to livestock, crawling may be hardy fish, walking my be softies and LPS, running may be SPS and acros. When it comes to lights, fluorescents, Metal halide, LEDS (everyone would argue that). Every nube, be it a human or a reefer, first crawls, then walks and then runs. Not to sound pretentious, but knowing that up front might make the falls less painful (costly). I wish you the very best, and again, welcome!

My best advise, same as above: one change at a time, and, go slow. Nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank.

:wink:

OP
OP
Wags

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back