OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from Nashville! Surprised no one has commented on your inquiry about keeping fish in your tank while cycling. Unless you are using instant bacteria, it is very cruel to do so.
I was surprised also, but I suppose it’s a well discussed topic. I will be using instant bacteria and dosing it daily as per the bottle instruction. Does adding fish plus bottled bacteria change the circumstances in terms of fish health/safety? I had sorta decided to just do a fishless cycle for the sake of the fish.

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to Reef2Reef, that was the best decision you could make when starting a reef tank. The people here are so BEYOND helpful, with a wealth of knowledge.

Second, you are right in line with what you should be doing. Study study study and do as much research as you can before jumping in.

Here are some pieces of advice i would have given myself years ago when i started.

1. Do NOT rush - Nothing good in this hobby happens fast
  2. QT every Fish - This will save you a lot of money and headaches
  3. Buy the best equipment you can afford - you do get what you pay for in this hobby
  4. Dip every coral before entering into your tank
  5. Do not overstock your tank, Less is more when it comes to fish
  6. Dont take anyone persons word as law - ask around and make sound decisions
  7. There is always exceptions to the rules, but follow the rules for less headaches
  8. Again i cant stress this enough - DON'T RUSH!

I hope this helps as you kick off your amazing adventure into the saltwater reef world.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Welcome.gif

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to Reef2Reef, that was the best decision you could make when starting a reef tank. The people here are so BEYOND helpful, with a wealth of knowledge.

Second, you are right in line with what you should be doing. Study study study and do as much research as you can before jumping in.

Here are some pieces of advice i would have given myself years ago when i started.

1. Do NOT rush - Nothing good in this hobby happens fast
  2. QT every Fish - This will save you a lot of money and headaches
  3. Buy the best equipment you can afford - you do get what you pay for in this hobby
  4. Dip every coral before entering into your tank
  5. Do not overstock your tank, Less is more when it comes to fish
  6. Dont take anyone persons word as law - ask around and make sound decisions
  7. There is always exceptions to the rules, but follow the rules for less headaches
  8. Again i cant stress this enough - DON'T RUSH!

I hope this helps as you kick off your amazing adventure into the saltwater reef world.
Hehe, thank you! I have another thread asking this "one piece of advice" question, and you said many of the things others did.

I've actually been happily observing on YouTube, and researching for about 2 years already (feel like I have watched every BRS video they have, lol), it's taken me a long time to feel like I had enough knowledge to give it a go myself. Can;t wait to get started now that I've taken the plunge.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to have you man! Utilize the search function, its saved me MANY times.!
100%, I've been using it already and found good discussions. I know it's frustrating when newbies come to a forum and ask a question that's been asked and answered 1 million times already. Some forum searches are not the best, though. I always start with the search feature, however :)

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
That is so fun. Welcome to the REEF! It is a journey that, at least for me, is rewarding, and fun. Hope your journey brings you where you want to be.

I love this forum and the people in it. When I got back into the hobby, I found the internet added a whole new dimension to reefing. Every time I searched something R2R came up as a solution. Finally I joined, found I really enjoy the people and conversations. Great knowledge on here (but seems always two sides to the story) so always double check and proceed with what you feel comfortable with. What works for me may not work for someone else and so on. I then joined as a member, then a supporting member as I want to make sure it is here for everyone now and in the future. I also love conversing with people from all over the world.

May be late to the discussion, but I have fish in cycled 5 of my 6 DT’s using prime and stability. My last set up I went with an instant start package of bacteria probidio I believe and doses ammonia as I wanted to add multiple angelfish at the same time to avoid them establishing territory before adding the next. Both ways work IMO, but I would use a bottled bacteria to help the little ones. As said a couple of times, take it slow.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back