HELP! Alk low put of nowhere

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to do my weekly testing this morning ans everything was in check beside my alk. Tank is about 3 years old, mixed reef, lots of sps and heavy growth. I cut frags monthly to trade in.
SG 1.026
CA 440
ALK 4.7!!
Nitrate 12
Phos 41ppb

All levels are around the normal besides alk. I typically run between 7.2 and 7.5. Tested last week and it was 7.3. Repeated the test and used a different kit and got the same result. Turns out my dosing tubing became disconnected so it wasn't sucking up alk this past week so I'm assuming it's been a slow drift down. I obviously immediately reconnected it. I also dosed enough alk to raise it to 5.4. Corals all look healthy somehow and I havnt noticed any decline in anything. Good PE and lps nice and puffy. You'd never know anything was wrong.

What can I expect going forward? Trying to not overcorrect and cause a massive swing, thinking about .5 a day until I get to 7.5 again. Ahould I stop at 7 and then let it ride a week or 2 before going to 7.5? Should I expect a delayed die off of my sps in a week or 2 from the stress?

Bhuddafunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be fine as long as you gradually Brough the Alkalinity back to where you would like it. I've had my calcium reactor run out of Co2 and my Alkalinity dropped from 9 down to 5.2, was no issues with livestock as long as I brought it back up slowly.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be fine as long as you gradually Brough the Alkalinity back to where you would like it. I've had my calcium reactor run out of Co2 and my Alkalinity dropped from 9 down to 5.2, was no issues with livestock as long as I brought it back up slowly.
Thanks for the encouragement. Retested after the bolus and it's not 5.3. Thinking of leaving it steady for rhe day and going to around 6 tomorrow. That too quick?

Thinking I need to get above 6 as soon as possible safely and then I can raise to above 7 slower.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back