Help! Blue Green Chromis troubles

khajiitdruid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I've had two chromis (the only two petco had [yes I know, but only nearby source] ) for a few weeks now. They were doing fine and acting normally. A few days ago, I woke up to find one missing completely... hubby had gotten a condy anemone and I stupidly assumed the fish would be okay with it. I was incorrect. The surviving fish seemed fine, but depressed I guess? No signs of illness until today, when I came home to find it laying on the bottom on its side, breathing heavily. It passed away within an hour.
There's no red spot, and all parameters are fine...
Salt- 1.0265
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 10-20ppm

13.5gal fluval, stocked:
5 coral (candy cane, alveopora, green star polyp, zoanthid, favia)
1 macroalgae (string of pearls)
1 neon dottyback
1 cleaner shrimp
1 orange banded goby

Previously also-
2 blue green chromis
1 condylactis anemone (rehomed)

I've added an airstone, but the goby is acting normal while the dottyback has been swimming closer to the top.
I assumed the power head gave enough surface agitation.

Only change has been the addition, today, of the string of pearls and the star polyp.

Did I suffocate the fish?

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone could have been dying and possibly released some toxins into the tank, but it is unlikely as other things would be effected. I would assume the fish got horribly stung by the anemone.

OP
OP
K

khajiitdruid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone could have been dying and possibly released some toxins into the tank, but it is unlikely as other things would be effected. I would assume the fish got horribly stung by the anemone.
Thank you. Unfortunately overnight we had a power outage. The tank was only without power for about an hour due to my ups, but the remaining two fish died leaving the shrimp by itself. The coral seem okay enough, and ammonia is still at 0. I'd think the anemone toxins would also affect the shrimp, but idk.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Unfortunately overnight we had a power outage. The tank was only without power for about an hour due to my ups, but the remaining two fish died leaving the shrimp by itself. The coral seem okay enough, and ammonia is still at 0. I'd think the anemone toxins would also affect the shrimp, but idk.
Yeah it’s a good thing the anemone didn’t die.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? 4 fish in a 13 gallon is a bit much. How long the fish been with you? Were they quarantined before adding to the tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello! I've had two chromis (the only two petco had [yes I know, but only nearby source] ) for a few weeks now. They were doing fine and acting normally. A few days ago, I woke up to find one missing completely... hubby had gotten a condy anemone and I stupidly assumed the fish would be okay with it. I was incorrect. The surviving fish seemed fine, but depressed I guess? No signs of illness until today, when I came home to find it laying on the bottom on its side, breathing heavily. It passed away within an hour.
There's no red spot, and all parameters are fine...
Salt- 1.0265
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 10-20ppm

13.5gal fluval, stocked:
5 coral (candy cane, alveopora, green star polyp, zoanthid, favia)
1 macroalgae (string of pearls)
1 neon dottyback
1 cleaner shrimp
1 orange banded goby

Previously also-
2 blue green chromis
1 condylactis anemone (rehomed)

I've added an airstone, but the goby is acting normal while the dottyback has been swimming closer to the top.
I assumed the power head gave enough surface agitation.

Only change has been the addition, today, of the string of pearls and the star polyp.

Did I suffocate the fish?
Any unusual skin blemishes or issues?
Any heavy breathing prior to outage?

OP
OP
K

khajiitdruid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? 4 fish in a 13 gallon is a bit much. How long the fish been with you? Were they quarantined before adding to the tank?
About a month. The fish, a little over a week I'd say? And no, did not quarantine stupidly. I have one set up now, but too little too late.

OP
OP
K

khajiitdruid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any unusual skin blemishes or issues?
Any heavy breathing prior to outage?
Only in the chromis. Everyone else was behaving normally, and I took the aerator from another tank to put in this one (freshwater, new stone) as soon as I saw the chromis failing.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Only in the chromis. Everyone else was behaving normally, and I took the aerator from another tank to put in this one (freshwater, new stone) as soon as I saw the chromis failing.
Can you provide a video of the fish under white light intensity when you get a chance?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unfortunately, the video is very short and seems to play in fast motion as if the fish are on steroids. Needed normal speed and lengthier in duration. I was not able to see much

OP
OP
K

khajiitdruid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the video is very short and seems to play in fast motion as if the fish are on steroids. Needed normal speed and lengthier in duration. I was not able to see much
Sorry, that's the best I have. As the fish are deceased, I can't really get a better one...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back