Help I.D mystery algae

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used to have a beautiful 30g reef tank with fish and no algae. Then disaster stuck when my fish all got sick and died. After they died a mystery algae crept in. I’ve tried multiple 50% water changes, black out, but nothing works. See video for algae details.

Green, like a sheet that covers rocks, sand, and glass. Basically wipes away but comes back the next few days even with huge water changes.

Salinity 1.025
Temp 76
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5-10

Can anyone help me figure out how to treat this horrible algae without breaking down the entire tank and starting over? IMG_8795.jpeg IMG_8796.jpeg IMG_8797.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8794.mov
    54.4 MB
  • IMG_8622.mov
    32 MB
OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like green cyano.
Not sure if the same principles apply to the green variant or not, though it probably does.

What’s your phosphate?
Ooh yeah that’s what it looks like. I misplaced my phosphate test somewhere, so not sure as of right now. Life kind of got in the way the past few months and the tank was neglected because of the depression of losing all my fish.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry for you loss, it’s always depressing to loose a fish or coral, but you must move forward and get that tank back in shape and enjoy it once again.

Find the phosphate test, stabilize your nutrients and see how it goes.
I also suggest increasing the flow and siphoning the cyano, as in this state it can harm your corals.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry for you loss, it’s always depressing to loose a fish or coral, but you must move forward and get that tank back in shape and enjoy it once again.

Find the phosphate test, stabilize your nutrients and see how it goes.
I also suggest increasing the flow and siphoning the cyano, as in this state it can harm your corals.
Will do, I’ll try turning off white light and getting some pods, and beneficial bacteria to add to the tank.

It’s so hard watching the hard work I put in the tank go away. I definitely need to try to get it back in shape so I can enjoy it once again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back