Help ID green growth (not bryopsis)

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this green mushroom-like growth increasing over the past year. It is only on this 1 rock. It does not fluoresce and it's fairly rigid, not fleshy. I remember it glowing under actinic before, but it has been dark since then.

zovWhMf.jpg

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the ID. It is like halimeda depends on good calcium levels to grow. Not harmful.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is neo. it is considered not harmful to tanks not overtaken by it. For tanks overtaken, it is the most harmful plant invader you could have in a reef tank and there isn't a documented fix of a true invasion on any forum, link up if so. I would allow someone to input the most dangerous strain of dinos we know vs one sprig of neo, in my tanks.

many pics of neo staying on a single rock, looking cool, no takeoever.

but zero pics of a true takeover being fixed, in tank, not any. so....I call it dangerous but opinions vary. google up the invaded tanks to see

the *best* way to know about neo, is to pop in a neo takeover thread and try and fix it without a total startover.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that piece didn't have so much active coralline on it I'd just dump it. A large turbo is cleaning it up right now, so we'll see what it looks like when he's done. I have no issues removing it, especially if it is going to compete with coral and coralline for ca. I may just pull it and put in the refug for the time being.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I think it actually looks neat! but for me, not worth the risk.

in one of our fix threads from reefcentral, we had this poster one time who had a couple stalks pop up, and she used a screwdriver to literally dig up under them with chipping, and they didn't come back so that may be considered an aversion. but we had to chip her rock heh, little divots like a wedge heh

in my peroxide threads if they have a neo invasion, I tell em just move on to something else like battery acid or new rock etc and that's a humbling defeat to encounter for sure. yours was not at invasion level yet, nice intercept potential.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess it's a non-issue since one of the mega turbos ate most of it. I see one or two stalks left, but the pair of turbos have not finished this rock yet.
It looked like a fuzzy ball when I moved it from one of the biocubes. :D

lY7bwRV.jpg

Abzraov.jpg

nqVRLKh.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if turbos will keep it at bay no concern so far. Nice grazer find someone else may like that one day

Since you showed any grazer that might help others this is linked now to the huge peroxide thread at nano-reef.com

The universality of the approach is best tested in any neo problem tank, we get them once every few mos for sure will advise them to consider these grazer options

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back