Help ID. Microscope videos included

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I might have amphidinium Dinos. I have an outbreak of brownish algae on my sand bed that gets worse as day goes on. I’ve siphoned it and it comes back. It seems to stick to the sand bed and is only on sand. Rocks seem clean. Tank is 1 year old. Phos is 0.05 and Nitrates at 4 on Hannah. I don’t see anything moving when I look at it on the microscope. I tried to include a video but it wasn’t easy getting it to work with phone. Let me know what you think this is please:

IMG_1691.jpeg IMG_1686.jpeg IMG_1696.png IMG_1695.png IMG_1694.png IMG_1693.png

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I might have amphidinium Dinos. I have an outbreak of brownish algae on my sand bed that gets worse as day goes on. I’ve siphoned it and it comes back. It seems to stick to the sand bed and is only on sand. Rocks seem clean. Tank is 1 year old. Phos is 0.05 and Nitrates at 4 on Hannah. I don’t see anything moving when I look at it on the microscope. I tried to include a video but it wasn’t easy getting it to work with phone. Let me know what you think this is please:

The photomicrographs look like filamentous algae. I don’t think thr brown organisms in the picture. They would be single cells.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I assume the usual algea control to combat this?
“Usual control” for me means snails eating algae. Looking at the algae growth in your system, I wonder whether the algae is covered with Cyanobacteria and dinoflagellates which would make it unappetizing.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All Normal. Try to reduce light, and water flow in that area. I found it really speeds up growth. I also just got a Diamond Goby to help with mine. I am doing an experiment on the balance of it all keeping in mind the goby has to eat. I don't like chemicals, and I think its a healthy thing but maybe just me. First picture is my 15 year old tank. Rest are new tank When I was all concerned. I let it run its course. It all changed
IMGP1089.JPG
IMGP1090.JPG
IMGP1092.JPG
IMGP1018.JPG

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back