Help me find cuttlefish for sale

Acemann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve been trying for the past year trying to find a pet cuttlefish for sale anywhere. Nothing. I’ve been researching them and everything they need so I’m pretty confident that I will be able to hatch one of necessary. Any help would be nice I have a whole reef tank setup for one that I’ve had for years and now I’m just trying to find some sepia bandensis’ cuttlefish not flamboyant cuttlefish. Thanks for the help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve been trying for the past year trying to find a pet cuttlefish for sale anywhere. Nothing. I’ve been researching them and everything they need so I’m pretty confident that I will be able to hatch one of necessary. Any help would be nice I have a whole reef tank setup for one that I’ve had for years and now I’m just trying to find some sepia bandensis’ cuttlefish not flamboyant cuttlefish. Thanks for the help.

That species is being raised fairly often by public aquariums, but they are rare in the pet trade. I've seen eggs for sale periodically, but really, the only time I've been able to raise them is when I was culturing live mysids to feed them, at least until they grow large enough to wean them over to frozen foods.

Jay

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only place I know of that seems to have Dwarf Cuttlefish eggs in stock right now:
I know one person who ordered eggs from this shop, it took ~1 month for them to get the eggs, and the water arrived pretty cold. So, they did get the eggs, but the business wasn't great to deal with. I don't know if the eggs hatched, as the person never updated their thread after that.

If you think it's worth a shot to order from these guys, let me know how it goes - they have some interesting stuff, so I'd love to see how legit of a business they are.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hatched some several years ago, here's a few tips that makes it inexpensive. Set up a macro tank with copepods and amphipods. The hatchlings will live off of those until they are large enough to eat ghost shrimp and guppies. Separate them quickly by size, they will cannibalize each other. Be careful of flow initially while they are newly hatched, easy to get sucked up into an overflow, power heads or circulation pumps not recommended.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Sorry to jump in right here, but where can one find Cuttlefish eggs delivered safely to the North East US? I'm really interested and doing my research and due diligence on these animals, but I'd like to know if these eggs are even available before I pour a lot of time and research into keeping Cuttlefish. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Edit: I am specifically looking for Sepia bandensis or a similar species, one that can be kept in a 65 gallon tank either as an individual, which I don't think is recommended, or as a small group of 2-6 Cuttlefish.

Thanks again!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Sorry to jump in right here, but where can one find Cuttlefish eggs delivered safely to the North East US? I'm really interested and doing my research and due diligence on these animals, but I'd like to know if these eggs are even available before I pour a lot of time and research into keeping Cuttlefish. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Edit: I am specifically looking for Sepia bandensis or a similar species, one that can be kept in a 65 gallon tank either as an individual, which I don't think is recommended, or as a small group of 2-6 Cuttlefish.

Thanks again!

I've not seen any on the lists lately, maybe there is some seasonality with them? Your best bet might be to have your local LFS order them for you.

Jay

CashL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cluster right now with one hatched already , 8 more eggs to go. If you need clusters I have someone that can get them. A flamboyant was available last week but it got spoken for quick.

KRAKENREEFAQUATICS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cluster right now with one hatched already , 8 more eggs to go. If you need clusters I have someone that can get them. A flamboyant was available last week but it got spoken for quick.
Pm me please im interested in some eggs or the flamboyant if another comes up

blacktie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a source that can sell eggs as well. please help with your contact

reefingshepherd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hatched more located in seattle

Attachments

• output.mov
    24.6 MB
  • IMG_2930.jpeg
    IMG_2930.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2925.jpeg
    IMG_2925.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2923.jpeg
    IMG_2923.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 27

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back