Help me identify this parasite/disease!!!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish was in my QT for a week or so and looked healthy but it started showing signs of some growth on its dorsal and anal fins. It doesn't look like ich to me, but I'm not 100% sure. Her body has no imperfections...only the few spots on the edge of her fins.

She's already in the QT tank that I dosed with PraziPro yesterday...hasn't been a full day yet.

DSC_3439.jpg

DSC_3437.jpg

seth&angelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what it is, but I've had yellow tangs get that before. I caught the tang, and use a clean scaple blade to cut them off the fins. I've done it several times with great success. It never returned.

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lymphocystis disease, its a virus. Its not contagious unless the u burst the cysts. The treatment is a neutral acriflavine bath 3-5 hrs, 2x's, 5 days apart. Reinfection can occur, and fish is susceptible to secondary infections

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lymphocystis disease, its a virus. Its not contagious unless the u burst the cysts. The treatment is a neutral acriflavine bath 3-5 hrs, 2x's, 5 days apart. Reinfection can occur, and fish is susceptible to secondary infections

+1, mine have usually cleared up without treatment. Nice Lamarks!

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, mine have usually cleared up without treatment. Nice Lamarks!
with out treatment even if it doesnt go away its not detrimental to the fish unless it grows in the gills and blocks oxygen transfer or in the anus and blocks waste release.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I bought some Acriflavine to treat with so hopefully it'll be here next week. Now I just need to decide on whether to move her to another tank to treat or just treat the QT with the other fish in it.

I"m thinking I'll go through this PraziPro treatment (since its already in there), water change, carbon, and it'll be time for the new fish to arrive. I'll give them 3-4 days to acclimate to the QT and then treat it with the Acriflavine.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with out treatment even if it doesnt go away its not detrimental to the fish unless it grows in the gills and blocks oxygen transfer or in the anus and blocks waste release.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to give it another week at least to see what happens (it'll take that long to get the meds anyway). If its still there I'll treat since I don't want to risk putting that in my DT untreated and potentially spread to other fish. Even if its not fatal I still want to cure it and give the fish a better chance to thrive.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep em happy and fed and it should go away, just a little lymph. I had angels get it at times.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys. My fish are fed very well with multiple types of food so thats never an issue :)

pac_island_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can just pluck them off and then dip the fish in another bucket or something so there arent any "leftovers". They are detrimental or anything, but unsightly :)

schabiazabi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Due to tons of misinformation and outright wrong advice above I will suggest you read a pretty good article/post by William Lee on Lymphocystis at ReefLand.com
I do not want to link another forum so you have to find it, but it's a sticky. You will learn a lot.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 35 18.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back