HELP my dkh is at 16

neilthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi this is my first attempt at making a salt water tank and have been slowly aquiring the things I need for it. Right now I have a

-20 gallon tank
-Topfin pf20 filter
-Heater (forgot name but is working)
-Wave maker
-Nicrew clip on led light
-Imagitarium concentrated water conditioner
-Coralife essential elements
-API saltwater test kit
-imagitarium saltwater test kit
-instant ocean sea salt

My water parameters:

- salinity : 1.024
- calcium 450 ppm
- 14 dkh
- 8.0 ph
- 10 ppm nitrate
- 0 ppm phosphates
- 0.50 ppm ammonia
- 0 ppm nitrite
(what other things do I need to test for my water parameters)
P.s the info of the water parameters I have is from the test kits I have atm

I also have a little crab in my tank I didn’t mean to get him but he’s just there he was in one of the agricultured rock I purchased

What do I need to change to decrease my dkh and what other equipment and things do I need to build on to get this tank set up for coral, anemones, and 2 clown fish

There is also this weird brownish stuff sprinkled on the bottom of the tank and my rocks. What is it and how can I get it out

image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• 72941195092__899015F1-022E-46B7-AB7C-57B3750038EA.MOV
    5.4 MB
Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't really need to worry about dKH for now, you're still going through your cycle. One thing at a time for a new reefer! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: How old is your tank?

It does however seem high. What do you use to test your alkalinity? If you really want to dig into this now, I would verify the test results using a different test kit!

Also, your parameters in the post says dKH 14 - your subject line says 16. What is it? :)

OP
OP
N

neilthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank’s around almost a month old. And my alkalinity is around 14 before I did a water change yesterday and after that water change it has gone up to16 . I used the saltwater imagitarium test kit that I got in petco I also added some coralife essential elements

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I am the guy for this, but are you using tap water or RODI water? This helps the other guys and gals figure things out for you. Good luck :)

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which color bucket of Instant ocean? Orange or Purple?

If it’s the Purple one it shouldn't be that high at that salinity. I’d be more inclined to think it’s a test error.

One thing - you mention water conditioner? Are you using tap water and then adding salt? If so this could affect your results due to all the stuff that’s in tap water.

OP
OP
N

neilthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I am the guy for this, but are you using tap water or RODI water? This helps the other guys and gals figure things out for you. Good luck :)
Yes I’m using tap water. I’m saving up for the rodi water filter do you have any recommendations?

OP
OP
N

neilthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which color bucket of Instant ocean? Orange or Purple?

If it’s the Purple one it shouldn't be that high at that salinity. I’d be more inclined to think it’s a test error.

One thing - you mention water conditioner? Are you using tap water and then adding salt? If so this could affect your results due to all the stuff that’s in tap water.
I don’t have a bucket I have the 50 gallons bag but it is purple colored. And yes I am using tap water since I don’t have an rodi filter

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m using tap water. I’m saving up for the rodi water filter do you have any recommendation
I'm using the RO buddy on my 150.... its somewhat tedious for the large amounts of water I make, but would probably be great for you. Pretty affordable.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m using tap water. I’m saving up for the rodi water filter do you have any recommendations?

This is the one that I use, I have no other experience with them other than this one. The meter on it claims to give me 0 TDS coming through the DI resin filter which is that 5th stage, I flush the water for a few minutes before each use cause it can start near 300 TDS coming into it before hand.

It rests on the floor of my garage, I use a flex garden hose from a spigot outside. A brute trash can to hold clean water, and a drain or another bucket for bad water.

Hope this helps

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tap water can have more alkalinity in it than the salt mix.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 too early to be concerned with dKH and I would invest in a better test kit before making any changes based on it.

Do you have a LFS where you can buy RODI or saltwater in the interim? When I first started I would run a few 5 gallon buckets down there on occasion, cheap and much better than tap.

OP
OP
N

neilthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the one that I use, I have no other experience with them other than this one. The meter on it claims to give me 0 TDS coming through the DI resin filter which is that 5th stage, I flush the water for a few minutes before each use cause it can start near 300 TDS coming into it before hand.

It rests on the floor of my garage, I use a flex garden hose from a spigot outside. A brute trash can to hold clean water, and a drain or another bucket for bad water.

Hope this helps
Might buy it in a couple weeks but I’m also looking for a smaller one if there is one since I’m only gonna be having a 20 gallon

OP
OP
N

neilthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 too early to be concerned with dKH and I would invest in a better test kit before making any changes based on it.

Do you have a LFS where you can buy RODI or saltwater in the interim? When I first started I would run a few 5 gallon buckets down there on occasion, cheap and much better than tap.I’m not sure I’ll start calling different places and if I do find a places that does how do you recommend I change the water do I just do a 50% water change or do I change less

OP
OP
N

neilthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have a LFS where you can buy RODI or saltwater in the interim? When I first started I would run a few 5 gallon buckets down there on occasion, cheap and much better than tap.
Also what test kits do you recommend that are affordable

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might buy it in a couple weeks but I’m also looking for a smaller one if there is one since I’m only gonna be having a 20 gallon
Since it’s a 20g you can purchase distilled water from your grocery store by the gallon until you get your ro/di unit. Much better than tap water and it’s cheap.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what test kits do you recommend that are affordable

The Salifert KH/Alk test kits are $16.46 on BRS currently. Otherwise I use a Hanna Checker which is around $65.

OP
OP
N

neilthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Salifert KH/Alk test kits are $16.46 on BRS currently. Otherwise I use a Hanna Checker which is around $65.

Thanks I’ll buy some next week and plan on buying distilled water for now until I have an rodi water filter

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back