HELP! MY SPS ARE PALING AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confounded (that does happen frequently ) by some of the numbers being shared. Nitrate test kits seem to be challenging to read accurately and I am unaware of any that use colorimeters which would likely be more consistent. Additionally they seem to have a fairly large margin of error (reproducibility). So I don't understand how hard numbers like 2 or 5 ppm of nitrate can be so confidently stated. I am not trying to be a naysayer, I just don't understand.

And although a Hanna checker for phosphates or phosphorous do use colorimetry, there remains a relatively large margin of error with each.

Lastly, I am surprised about zero nitrates. Doesn't anybody have any fish or is everybody also carbon dosing. Nutrient export via refugium, algae scrubber or typical water changes, I don't believe would strip nitrates or alter the redfield ratio. So unless Carbon dosing, how are you ending up with zero nitrates

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed 10ml of flourish nitrogen today... in my 80g system (65g dt + 15g sump).. hope my nitrates rises tomorrow... unless my caulerpa and chaeto takes it...lol
Your on the right track!
But.. don't wait till tomorrow to test as your macros will suck it up quick.
Your nitrates will raise instantly. I am getting close (about the same volume as you) but I test in the morning and at night.
Dose when you see a drop in nitrates. Eventually it will stay somewhat constant but like I said your macros will love it.
Keep the macros trimmed back
If you dosed 10Ml what is your nitrate at now ?

Arnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your on the right track!
But.. don't wait till tomorrow to test as your macros will suck it up quick.
Your nitrates will raise instantly. I am getting close (about the same volume as you) but I test in the morning and at night.
Dose when you see a drop in nitrates. Eventually it will stay somewhat constant but like I said your macros will love it.
Keep the macros trimmed back
If you dosed 10Ml what is your nitrate at now ?

I think nothibg changed see pics...

Attachments

• 1439414846146.jpg
    1439414846146.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 471

Arnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confounded (that does happen frequently ) by some of the numbers being shared. Nitrate test kits seem to be challenging to read accurately and I am unaware of any that use colorimeters which would likely be more consistent. Additionally they seem to have a fairly large margin of error (reproducibility). So I don't understand how hard numbers like 2 or 5 ppm of nitrate can be so confidently stated. I am not trying to be a naysayer, I just don't understand.

And although a Hanna checker for phosphates or phosphorous do use colorimetry, there remains a relatively large margin of error with each.

Lastly, I am surprised about zero nitrates. Doesn't anybody have any fish or is everybody also carbon dosing. Nutrient export via refugium, algae scrubber or typical water changes, I don't believe would strip nitrates or alter the redfield ratio. So unless Carbon dosing, how are you ending up with zero nitrates

I am not doing any carbon dosing.

All I have in the sump are caulerpa and chaeto macro, miracle mud, a bag of chemipure elite, protein skimmer, a bag of carbon and a DIY algae scrubber (just 1 week old).

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose more do another 10Ml.
You WILL start to see it rise.
Now remember when starting this the first few doses gets sucked up by the tank.
Also your macros and scrubber will take a LOT out of the water.

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot for this brief but clear overview. I alway thought that a 9-12 KH was perfectly fine, but I'll try to experiment by slowly lowering it to 7-8 to see the effect on my tank!

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

to your point. i have not noticed detriment to sps up to 20ppm and 1ppm po4 in my 11 dkh 220 gallon system.

i am talking to those of us who are truly ulns. i have no carbon. no macro. no skimmer. i have a nitrate deficit. now i understand it is hard to swallow or believe this sort of thing but i had a method to my madness which i will not share here.

i was banned for sharing my experience and my setup but i videod it and it's proof. you can have a no3 po4 deficit with tangs, mandarins and wrasses.

but others have also employed and tried these methods and have had great success.

dont get stuck on my numbers. just realize we need SOME nutrinets or zoox die. if you are carbon dosing then you have a nutrient surplus and it may not apply to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this^^^^^

my first dose ended up being 100ml in 24 hours to retain 3ppm no3. (granted. my volume is 300 gallons) your mileage may vary.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to your point. i have not noticed detriment to sps up to 20ppm and 1ppm po4 in my 11 dkh 220 gallon system.

i am talking to those of us who are truly ulns. i have no carbon. no macro. no skimmer. i have a nitrate deficit. now i understand it is hard to swallow or believe this sort of thing but i had a method to my madness which i will not share here.

i was banned for sharing my experience and my setup but i videod it and it's proof. you can have a no3 po4 deficit with tangs, mandarins and wrasses.

but others have also employed and tried these methods and have had great success.

dont get stuck on my numbers. just realize we need SOME nutrinets or zoox die. if you are carbon dosing then you have a nutrient surplus and it does not apply to you.
No way Russ has ever been banned..
If you ever have been then I call it ignorance from others

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way Russ has ever been banned..
If you ever have been then I call it ignorance from others
dose nitrates on video at atlanta reef club. you get some really fun "advice"

i wont say anymore on that though. but it truly is hilarious.

Arnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks... Just added another 10ml

blackgate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a red sea pro nitrate test and a hanna low range phosphate checker for my testing. I always test at 0 nitrates even with a large bioload, but for the first time I tested zeros across the board for phosphates as well. The triton method encourages these nitrate numbers as I understand but I am starting to lose some coral to stn at the base or the flesh is completely stripped off and only the polyps are left. I love the triton method, however I am going to start nitrate dosing to see if that helps as well.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a red sea pro nitrate test and a hanna low range phosphate checker for my testing. I always test at 0 nitrates even with a large bioload, but for the first time I tested zeros across the board for phosphates as well. The triton method encourages these nitrate numbers as I understand but I am starting to lose some coral to stn at the base or the flesh is completely stripped off and only the polyps are left. I love the triton method, however I am going to start nitrate dosing to see if that helps as well.

this is exactly what happened to my valdia acro.
it went plum purple in 3 days. then started paling at the base and worked it's way up while i was diagnosing and trying different things. polyps would slowly deteriorate on up afterward.

my tyree pink lemonades and 500 efflo started doing the same.

after a week of keeping nitrate above 2ppm, flourescent greens would appear under actinics.

before i caught the problem. most would say lack of light or high po4. notice the zoox all but gone closest to the light at the top. paled first, then browned after purple.

after dosing nitrogen (against the advice of others)

flourescing greens returning

as a reference... here is what my nitrates looked like

faulty kit?

after first dose....

the following weekend

Last edited:

blackgate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I have been dealing with that exact issue. Here are my options:

1. Dose nitrate solution
2. Add more small fish
3. Remove some live rock from sump (I have quite a bit in there)
4. Trim a lot of my macro back

What would you do?

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I have been dealing with that exact issue. Here are my options:

1. Dose nitrate solution
2. Add more small fish
3. Remove some live rock from sump (I have quite a bit in there)
4. Trim a lot of my macro back

What would you do?

i cut gfo off first.
dosed nitrate.

i am slowly adding fish when i see i want one. i am incredibly picky with fish and their temperment.
as i see the need for dosing nitrate slow to a crawl, i figure ill have equilibrium.

that is my current plan of action

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in this same predicament, I think. I dosed some potassium nitrate a week ago and they are staying at 5-10ppm (API)

Phosphates via Hanna are 0.00

API phosphate test shows 0.25ppm

Which should I believe? I feed mysis once a day and run a skimmer. Could phosphates really be 0.00?

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in this same predicament, I think. I dosed some potassium nitrate a week ago and they are staying at 5-10ppm (API)

Phosphates via Hanna are 0.00

API phosphate test shows 0.25ppm

Which should I believe? I feed mysis once a day and run a skimmer. Could phosphates really be 0.00?

yup. api is wrong and is notorious for false .25. just use it on your RO water and itll be green.

you could attempt dosing seachem flourish phosphorus, but be easy on that stuff. like... super easy.

also i would NOT dose phosphate if your no3 readings are dropping.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup. api is wrong and is notorious for false .25. just use it on your RO water and itll be green.

you could attempt dosing seachem flourish phosphorus, but be easy on that stuff. like... super easy.

also i would NOT dose phosphate if your no3 readings are dropping.

I have some brown hairy Algea that popped up before I threw some GFO into a HOB filter. It's still there but didn't grow much after the GFO. So, there should be some phosphates bound up by it.

Would increasing feedings or using some pellets as well help raise phosphates slowly? Or I could cut off the skimmer for a few days.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some brown hairy Algea that popped up before I threw some GFO into a HOB filter. It's still there but didn't grow much after the GFO. So, there should be some phosphates bound up by it.

Would increasing feedings or using some pellets as well help raise phosphates slowly? Or I could cut off the skimmer for a few days.

gfo may not be helping you.
fix algae nutrient absorption first

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back