[HELP] New Onyx Picasso Clown pair

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a pair of Picasso clowns to my 55 gallon and they both have stayed under the powerhead for around 24-36 hours now. Too much water movement? Stressed? Any ideas? I have attached a video.

Thanks

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you just got them. Give them a few days, they need to acclimate to new surroundings. Clowns can be weird. My skunks do that on occasion its just clownfish being clowns.

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking pair!

Yeah they look good. Just give them some time.
No issue with the water movement.
Are they eating?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started my tank I had 2 clowns that did the same. I had to adjust my flow from my MP40s and then they started free swimming.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you just got them. Give them a few days, they need to acclimate to new surroundings. Clowns can be weird. My skunks do that on occasion its just clownfish being clowns.
Yes I just got them. That's what I was thinking.

Nice looking pair!

Yeah they look good. Just give them some time.
No issue with the water movement.
Are they eating?
Thanks! Yes I feed them after a couple hours of being in the tank. When I turned off the powerheads during feeding they seemed to move around more. But after feeding & heads back on they go back to the spot.

When I first started my tank I had 2 clowns that did the same. I had to adjust my flow from my MP40s and then they started free swimming.
^^^^

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Current USA 1,050 GPH
I'm not really familiar but what size tank? I run 2 MP40s at 38% during the day and 28 at night. I had one side mounted and one back wall mounted. Fish wouldn't swim and stayed in the corner. When I placed both on the side anti sync mode then the clowns free swam the tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind to it may not be the intensity of the flow because the ocean has a fierce current but more the direction of the flow as was my case to help the fish.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the one that's in the video goes right in front of the rock work & front glass. And the other one is on the other side on tank more towards the top and tilted up towards the surface. Now that i think of it my flow maybe on 100%. Don't think I've changed it since I've had them in the tank. The clowns are my first fish in tank.

The one in video set on "wave" and the other powerhead near top is set to "stream"

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the one that's in the video goes right in front of the rock work & front glass. And the other one is on the other side on tank more towards the top and tilted up towards the surface. Now that i think of it my flow maybe on 100%. Don't think I've changed it since I've had them in the tank. The clowns are my first fish in tank.

The one in video set on "wave" and the other powerhead near top is set to "stream"
I have mine directly across from each other 3 inches below the surface.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pointed towards the rock scape/middle of tank?
Yes they are centered on the sides of the tank facing each other and in anti sync mode

20220528_123848.jpg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my clowns they also hung out near the powerhead and also the overflow grate.
It is common for them to gravitate towards odd things.
Place a small terracotta planting pot just about anywhere in the tank and they will be drawn to it like a magnet.

I have had success getting them to hangout in any given area of the tank just by simply placing a pot down. They don’t even seem to mind if the pot changes, I have used 3 different sizes depending on the tank and area and they don’t seem to care or notice..

This is them right now as I type this:
7C31B823-95BF-4BA8-AD37-869F386B0783.jpeg

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all have some nice looking tanks! Here is a updated picture of my tank, should I move the location of the powerheads? Also when I got home I noticed both powerheads were on 100%.

*Will be finding a place for that extra rock sitting on top of the other one on the right* :p
IMG_4448[1].JPG

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a nice set up. Flow depends on other variables to like what types of coral you plan? softs low flow LPS moderate and SPS high flow generally. You want your powerheads to have flow variations not just constantly one speed. You want them to ripple the surface water so you get good gas exchange but not to hard to blow sand around the bottom.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back