Help Out a Plumbing Rookie:)

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the basic gist of what I'll need to plumb my current upgrade. I just wanted to sure up my thought process before I pull the trigger on all the hardware.

Tank is a UNS 90L, I just drilled it yesterday and installed the eclipse S. I know that runs herbie style with two one inch drains - the main overflow will have a gate valve and the emergency will run straight through. Not too worried about that.

I'm planning on running the varios 2 for my return and I would like to plumb that to the other side of the tank. The pump accepts 1 inch pvc or 3/4 tubing with the barbed fitting. I'd prefer to have the ability to just connect via a union and leave the whole thing 1 inch to the bulkhead. I have heard that returns should be smaller than the drain but I'm wondering if I even need to worry about this as both drains should be able to handle things. Is that a safe assumption?

Next question - are there any bulkhead recommendations haha. I see a few different types , and I understand the difference in connection types. I just want to know if there is a "best" option. Also do I need a check valve or something on the return? I'll more than likely fit a loc-line to the bulkhead if that's relevant.

I attached a pic of the setup. I have a 1.25 inch space between the 2x4's of the stand to run some plumbing to the sump. I'm considering running the drain around the open back with some elbows and what not and maybe running the return through that 1.25 inch slot.

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions I'd just like some assurance/guidance or even recommendation to have the most adequate setup I can. I'm a traditional AIO guy haha...
IMG_2180.jpg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KISS -- keep it simple stupid. Varios, are adjustable flow pumps.
Put a 1" union on the pump, run 1" until the last fitting before reducing. The fewer turns the better.
Check valves WILL fail, usually @ the worst time, forget it.
The only thing I can say about bulkheads is use schedule 40 & don't glue inside the overflow box.
Run the drains as straight as possible for the best functionality.

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KISS -- keep it simple stupid. Varios, are adjustable flow pumps.
Put a 1" union on the pump, run 1" until the last fitting before reducing. The fewer turns the better.
Check valves WILL fail, usually @ the worst time, forget it.
The only thing I can say about bulkheads is use schedule 40 & don't glue inside the overflow box.
Run the drains as straight as possible for the best functionality.
Thank you - the drains are going to be my biggest problem. I think I'd be able to get the main siphon lined up with the gap in the stand and should a relatively straight shot to the sump Can the emergency be a little less than ideal in terms of having a straight run?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back