Help with Bryopsis!

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

A couple months ago I set up a 75 gallon reef in which I used a few rocks from the previous system to add to the new display. I must have brought bryopsis to the new tank with the old rock. Today, my tank has quite a few patches of bryopsis on the sand bed and rock. I have been dosing magnesium to get rid of it (for about a week now) and it doesn't seem to be helping much.
Is there anything else that I can do to get rid of it without taking the rock out? I have coral attached to the rock and can't take it out to dip it in hydrogen peroxide or anything.
Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Milkmanskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, this is Mike's Reef on YouTube bro. I'm battling some myself and to me, the best course of action is to take it out and manually remove it the best you can. I have some to and is effecting some frags. I just pop em out and remove the bryopsis,then place back in the tank. It's made a world of difference. I've also upped my water changes. In the middle of doing one now actually. You have a difficult situation because you have already got your rocks where you want them.

Get a bucket big enough for each rock and fill with tank water. Use tweezers to pull it all off. Rinse in clean tank water and place back in the tank.

Milkmanskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before
IMG_0502.JPG

After
IMG_0596.JPG

You can see from the photos that I still have some on it that will be removed today. However, it's not near as bad as it was and another reason this frag has not been glued down yet either.

OP
OP
Mike Lemming

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, this is Mike's Reef on YouTube bro. I'm battling some myself and to me, the best course of action is to take it out and manually remove it the best you can. I have some to and is effecting some frags. I just pop em out and remove the bryopsis,then place back in the tank. It's made a world of difference. I've also upped my water changes. In the middle of doing one now actually. You have a difficult situation because you have already got your rocks where you want them.

Get a bucket big enough for each rock and fill with tank water. Use tweezers to pull it all off. Rinse in clean tank water and place back in the tank.

Thanks Mike! Maybe mine isn't bryopsis.. mines more of a hair algae but its a really thick green hair algae.. I thought from what I saw online that it was bryopsis. This is going to suck! I definitely didn't want to take the rock out!

Milkmanskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. This is just my opinion. I'm sure someone else will pitch in who has more experience. I'm not to sure mine is bryopsis either. It usually looks like a palm tree. Mine doesn't look that way and it has gotten pretty long.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike! Maybe mine isn't bryopsis.. mines more of a hair algae but its a really thick green hair algae.. I thought from what I saw online that it was bryopsis. This is going to suck! I definitely didn't want to take the rock out!
Can you post a close up picture? Bryopsis almost always has a Fern like appearance.

Also the new thing to try would be a product called Vibrant? They claim it cures hair algae, turf algae, bryopsis, diatoms, cyano and dinos.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

OP
OP
Mike Lemming

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this with a stone grinding wheel, grind off 1/16 if an inch and treat with peroxide.

81ZQYrwngRL._SX522_.jpg

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More of a grinding down to remove its foothold. Then treat. if its growing right up to the coral i use a metal pick and then treat. with stony corals I have been using a Q tip right up to the edge of growth, sometimes it will bleach it right at the edge, but seems to help it regrow without competition from the algae.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike Lemming

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More of a grinding down to remove its foothold. Then treat. if its growing right up to the coral i use a metal pick and then treat. with stony corals I have been using a Q tip right up to the edge of growth, sometimes it will bleach it right at the edge, but seems to help it regrow without competition from the algae.
Thanks man. about to leave work now and will snap a pic for you.

Back