Help with how to implement UV/ Flow rate

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use some help deciding how to best utilize my UV sterilizer.

The tank is a ~100 gal total volume Reefer 425xl. I have 2 Cor return pumps, one of them is plumber to a 25 w UV Pentair sterilizer and into the display and the second just goes direct from sump to display. I’m also using a filter roller

Pentair recommends a flow rate of 470-700 for algae and 80-150 for Protozoa.

All of my fish are quarantined and I only buy snails from fish less systems. I dip corals as well. I’m not sure I really need Protozoa control. I did have an outbreak of Dinos a month ago but I think I beat that with upping my nutrients and a half dose of Waste Away.

When I try to reach flow rate of 470 for algae control (tuned via apex flow meter), the turnover in my sump is quite fast even with my second return tuned a trickle. I’m eating through filter rolls with it in under a month. My tank is pretty much algae free with my tang gang.

Im also considering starting NP Bacto Balance carbon dosing so I’m not sure what effect UV has on that.

Can someone help me figure out what to with the UV sterilizer. It’s hard plumbed and really can’t be moved/changed. Should I just keep it fast and deal with the filter rolls being eaten up or turn it down and target Protozoa? I assume running it between the rec flow for Protozoa and algae will have little benefit?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. Finally removed the UV from the return line. It was too difficult to tune correctly. It takes water from the sump and return it there. Also only turning the light on 4 hours a day

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. Finally removed the UV from the return line. It was too difficult to tune correctly. It takes water from the sump and return it there. Also only turning the light on 4 hours a day
Mine is hard plumbed, connected to the back, and pushed against a wall. It would be more work than I’m willing to do to change the plumbing

Back