Help with identifying algae

ReefNoobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! New to reefing and finished cycling my tanks roughly two weeks ago now. On about week 6-7 of this new tank and saw these brown spots on my rocks, but nothing on the sand bed. I know I am supposed to prepare myself for diatoms, but these do not look like them based on pictures I have looked at. Any help on what these might be would be great. Also can I attack the problem now and get rid of them? If so what is the best method?

Thanks for all the help!

11.jpg 2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello everyone! New to reefing and finished cycling my tanks roughly two weeks ago now. On about week 6-7 of this new tank and saw these brown spots on my rocks, but nothing on the sand bed. I know I am supposed to prepare myself for diatoms, but these do not look like them based on pictures I have looked at. Any help on what these might be would be great. Also can I attack the problem now and get rid of them? If so what is the best method?

Thanks for all the help!

11.jpg 2.jpg
These brown spots are diatoms which most always show up when a tank is cycled and are harmless and feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Tap water is also a cause. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. To prevent their growth, do regular water changes, keep the sand clean, don’t overfeed and assure your skimmer is running at best performance level and rinse filter socks and sponges on a regularly. reduce white intensity a little also.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.

OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These brown spots are diatoms which most always show up when a tank is cycled and are harmless and feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Tap water is also a cause. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. To prevent their growth, do regular water changes, keep the sand clean, don’t overfeed and assure your skimmer is running at best performance level and rinse filter socks and sponges on a regularly. reduce white intensity a little also.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.
Thanks so much for your speedy response! It's a small 25g tank and the cleaner crew I have so far are two nassarius snails and two hermit crabs. Just been kind of adding as I go. I will pick up some of the recommended snails you mentioned tomorrow! Using RODI water in the tank of course and have been doing weekly 20% water changes. Is it okay to take a tooth brush or bristle brush to the rock work right now then?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks so much for your speedy response! It's a small 25g tank and the cleaner crew I have so far are two nassarius snails and two hermit crabs. Just been kind of adding as I go. I will pick up some of the recommended snails you mentioned tomorrow! Using RODI water in the tank of course and have been doing weekly 20% water changes. Is it okay to take a tooth brush or bristle brush to the rock work right now then?
Nassarius will work in/on the sand

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 184 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back